Why become a member? ×

-

Jus Lukin

[quote name='andyjingram' post='799071' date='Apr 7 2010, 07:00 PM']Hi guys,

I'm looking to put some flatwound strings on a bass. To keep the subject as simple as possible, if I was putting a new set of rounds on, I would up the gauge from 40-100 to 45-105. As it seems to be the concensus that on average the tension will be a bit higher, do you think that using 40-100 flats will give me something akin to the extra resistance of higher gauge rounds, or is the tension difference not that noticable?

I'm hoping that I can get the extra stability without the hassle of tweaking the nut!

Thanks, Andy[/quote]
I don't know the best answer to your exact question but be aware that the tension of flats is quite variable - e.g. TI Jazz Flats are very low tension, whereas La Bella flats are much higher tension - so whether you need to tweak the truss rod won't merely depend on the gauge of the strings.

It also depends on the guitar. Different strings sound better or worse on different guitars. The only sure way to find out is to try different sets - although that can get expensive!

A few years ago I experimented with several sets of flats on my Godin A4 (which I no longer have) the TI Jazz Flats had a great sound, but very low tension and felt almost too slack. Conversely, with the Rotosound Jazz Bass (Monel) flats the tension was so high they were virtually unplayable (probably could have been corrected with some adjustment of the truss)... however the TIs on my Status electro felt completely different - seemed to be much higher tension for some reason.

I now use the Status with the original Status brand black nylon flats, which sound great, and incidentally are exceptionally good value at £16.95 a set (last time I bought any) - about half the price of the TIs.

Try the BC 'for sales' & ebay - you might find some cheap sets to try out!

FWIW on both the Godin & the Status I ended up with the strings they were originally supplied with - they just sounded best!

Hope this helps.

[quote name='andyjingram' post='799408' date='Apr 8 2010, 12:56 AM']Hmmm, I guess it's not so cut and dried, then.

I can't really afford to try a ton of sets for now, but I was looking at Picato strings, which are about 16 pounds too. (I'm typing in the US and don't have a pound sign!) I'll check out the Status ones, though I think nylons will be too warm sounding for my needs.[/quote]

I personally wouldn't recommend Picato flats - found that my hands stick to them on a gig when sweat can make them clammy. I thought it was just me, and I wouldn't get on with any flats, but I've recently shelled out a bit more for some D'Addarrio Chromes and they're lovely and smooth!