Why become a member? ×

GK rig 1001RBII & Neo cabs

niceguyhomer

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='91890' date='Nov 20 2007, 10:55 PM']+1 *applauds*

Shame about the band tho. Wouldn't you miss it?[/quote]

I would Steve, I love playing live and TBH, it's the only reason I play an instrument but it isn't what it used to be. I just know if I'm not in a band doing gigs, I'd never pick a bass up again. I sometimes wonder if my constant equipment changes are really my way of sustaining interest.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='92000' date='Nov 21 2007, 09:36 AM']I would Steve, I love playing live and TBH, it's the only reason I play an instrument but it isn't what it used to be. I just know if I'm not in a band doing gigs, I'd never pick a bass up again. I sometimes wonder if my constant equipment changes are really my way of sustaining interest.[/quote]
Man, thats a sad situation.

Are you saying you're only playing bass out of a sense of obligation to the band? :)

Is there something now uninspiring about making loud low and powerful noises, in the pocket? (Now I just KNOW I'm going to regret saying that...) :huh:

I do have obligations to the rest of the band and I believe I fulfil them but that's not why I play. I get pleasure playing to audiences and only play/practice at home to be good enough to do that. During the last five years as a gigging guitarist, I never picked up my Strat between gigs and some of those were a month apart. In fact the rest of the (guitar) band used to have a standing joke about me that if I broke a string at the gig, it'd still be there - broken at the next gig.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='92065' date='Nov 21 2007, 11:29 AM']I do have obligations to the rest of the band and I believe I fulfil them but that's not why I play. I get pleasure playing to audiences[/quote]
Hmmm. OK, I have to admit to having a similar issue myself with bass. I've done pretty much all I feel inspired to do with the instrument. I still get a lot of satisfaction out of my playing experiences and hearing the bass fit perfectly into the mix but that revolves mainly around the team work aspect and being part of something that is bigger than each of the component parts. I'm not interested in being able to widdle Flight of the Bumblebee or whatever.

I had a crack at trying to emulate John Patitucci but I lack the self discipline and inspiration to sustain technique at that level anyway. My work life is too stressful for me to sit down and focus patiently on a complicated piece of music and I marvel at some of the stuff I see being played by everyone at the Bass bashes. I can't see how a lot of advanced technique fits into funk and soul genres I play though. The person who has come closest to inspiring me with technique is probably Michael Manring, he never seems to lose sight of the music and I reckon Billy Sheenan is pretty good too. But I am absolutely not interested in sounding like either of them.

Thats why I'm interested in your situation. Seeing Prince play live really fired me up and diversifying musically and taking up funk guitar has given my interest in performing music a new lease of life, but I see you've already done that as well. What about playing drums?

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='91710' date='Nov 20 2007, 07:13 PM']Gigs aren't what they used to be, half empty pubs / disinterested punters / venues disappearing / sound limiters and whinging neighbours. I can see the writing on the wall with the band too - never rehearse / no new songs / no communication between gigs etc etc and I've always said that when this band goes pear shaped, that's it. I don't think I'd have the stomach to start again with another band. Sad but true.[/quote]

Going through a similar dilema at the moment Alan due to a personal problem with one of my band members.
I have worked hard to get suitable gigs and had to cancel months of bookings.
So I know how you feel, hang on in there, you never know what may turn up.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='92138' date='Nov 21 2007, 01:46 PM']I think I'm just on a bit of a downer about by my whole situation really. Never mind, hope to snap out of it soon.[/quote]
Hey, you're in the right place at least. :)

[quote name='BeLow' post='92478' date='Nov 22 2007, 12:21 AM']Why am I boring you with this story - only to try and convince you not to sell all that gear, firstly because it always costs you big time to start again from scratch, and secondly we need an excuse to keep you posting on here - otherwise there might be a damaging drop in the level of dry humour around here.[/quote]
+1, I'd miss your pants wettingly funny posts. I think you're one of Basschat's treasures, the place would be much poorer for losing you. :)