Why become a member? ×

Powered foldback monitors

Hamster

I'm not having much luck with choosing reliable active foldbacks for the stage - we take care of them but the ones we've had have only lasted 2-3 years of comparitively light use doing about 70 gigs a year. :)

What [u]reliable [/u]active stage monitors do you use? - we don't put the bass through them so they'll only be for guitar/vocals/keys etc

I really liked the sound of the EVP-X15PM and it seemed to have a lot of 'body' in a small box, with clarity [url="http://www.prosound-dj.com/wharfedale-evpx15pm-active-wedge-monitor-p-1771.html"]http://www.prosound-dj.com/wharfedale-evpx...tor-p-1771.html[/url].

We have four HK Audio Powerworks RS122MA active 1x12 monitors. At times they've struggled to cope when on-stage drums & guitar (and by necessity, bass) got too loud (we put just vox & keys into them too), but overall we're quite happy with them - decent tonality, tough enough so far (4 years on the go), look the part.

"Good" active monitors can be pretty expensive. If I coud buy again, I'd probably be looking into stuff like Yamaha MSR400, RCF ART312A, Mackie SRM450. Not tried them, but all well respected, and all under €600 each. Over €600? I'd check out DB Flexsys F12 and Dynacord D-Lite D12A. Under €400? Maybe DB Basic 400?

Anything under €400 or "own brand" may struggle with volume or just sound crap, no matter what the spec, and I'd suffer on till I could get the right monitors rather than convenient monitors.

Mark