Why become a member? ×

Stingray nut widths

dave_bass5

After getting a SBMM Ray34 last week and finding the neck a bit too wide, or it could be the string spacing, i'd like to get some idea of the size of the real deal.
The Ray34 has a slightly wider nut than a SR4 but im wondering if the SR4 varies at all.
The nut measurement for a SR4 is 41.3mm on the EBMM website but Ive read some people comment that their neck is a bit more jazz like than P.

Im not talking about the Sterlings or Slo models, just the SR4.

If anyone has the time could you measure the nut and string spacing (although i assume that will be standard on all the basses).

Cheers. just trying to decide what to do. Im looking for a main bass and im sure i want a MM as i really like the tone.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='793048' date='Apr 1 2010, 10:30 AM']Can't help you there, mine's a fiver, but on the official EBMM site it says the width of the original Stingray 4 should be: [b]Neck Width:1-5/8" (41.3 mm) at nut 2-1/2" (63.5 mm) at last fret[/b][/quote]

Yeah, thats what i read but im wondering (or asking) if this has always been the case or maybe older ones were different.

Just trying to get an idea if its some thing i should look out for or not worry about.
I'll be buying second hand and would prefer it as narrow as possible without having to go the Slo route. But maybe thats not an option.

My 2006 (and the 2005 it replaced) were bang on the 41.3mm (same as a 'modern' Fender P AFAIK - certainly felt that way against the 2004 S1 I had)). My older 1990 felt a little thicker than this but that might just be the vagaries of time interfering with my memory.....