Why become a member? ×

James Jamerson strings?

Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='790340' date='Mar 30 2010, 10:22 AM']Hi does anyone know with certainty what strings make and model that JJ used? Thanks (on his P bass not on his upright by the way)[/quote]

google says "James Jamerson used La Bella heavy-gauge (.052-.110) flatwound strings that he never changed."

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='790362' date='Mar 30 2010, 10:40 AM']52-110? Wow, he had tough fingers. Man's strings! :)[/quote]

I've got 65 to 115 on my acoustic bass -- Cool I must be a man!!! LOL

To the OP I think La Bella do a JJ signature set (seems self defeating as purists would only ever buy 1 set!!)

B

[quote name='alexharvay' post='790352' date='Mar 30 2010, 10:33 AM']Where is the best place to buy La Bellas from? String Busters have them but they never seem to have standard flatwound 45-105 in stock. If they do it's either short scale or extra long scale.[/quote]

I would say go for the 760FL set 43-104 - they should feel close enough to the standard and are more regularly available.

La Bellas are simply superb strings. I quite often buy sets from the US in pairs off eBay as it can work out cheaper than buying a single set here in the UK. Just takes longer to get here that's all... The 115's are heavy strings. I've found La Bella's to be a very taught string and feel heavier than they are. So sticking around the 105 range is probably a good bet.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='790373' date='Mar 30 2010, 10:49 AM']I would say go for the 760FL set 43-104 - they should feel close enough to the standard and are more regularly available.[/quote]

I've never spotted those. Can't see the wood for the trees when it comes to strings.

I've got a set of these La Bella Deep Talkin' 760FL set 43-104 and I've fitted them on the P Bass, I have not used flats in yonks, it's so weird not to have sliding friction caused by the strings wraps, it almost feels like a fretless.

I can't say I am 100% keen on flats but they do exactly what is expected of them in reproducing a vintage sound with a faithful motown vibe, not too bright and not too dull, something in between, very easy on the fingertips. I am warming up to them but seen as I have enough basses to get back to with roundwound strings it's nice to leave these on this P Bass as they don't spoil the sound of it and it's like a departure from the norm. I tell you what is fun, playing the bass line from Come Together (The Beatles) on flats is a right laugh :) or... There's nothing like this (Omar) really sound proper with these strings... aww all in a day's fun.

Shame I've got to sail this ship to France tonight... boohooo the joys of work. (not)

Edited by Grand Wazoo

Well ladies and gentlemen, I have a freebie for you all. This set of La Bella Deep Talkin' Bass Strings - model 760FL gauge 0.43 - 0.60 - 0.82 - 104

Unfortunately now I realize why in the last 20 years I have not bothered with flat strings, I just don't feel at home with them, they are a laugh for 5 minutes and they feel nice a comfy to play but, I don't like the way they choke the top end, so I took them off and put the slinkies back on.

They have been on the bass not more than 2 days, they were fitted to a precision bass and cut with plenty room to wrap around the posts, the first person that pm's me with their name and address I'll send them over for free.

They are still fresh I guess.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[u][size=4][b]THE FLATWOUND STRINGS ARE NOW TAKEN[/b][/size][/u]

Wow, what an overwhelming response.... however sadly the strings will go to the first pm received and that is this chap called [size=4][b]___________________[/b][/size], someone also asked me where I got them cause they can't find them well here is the link:

[url="http://www.stringbusters.com/frameset.asp?MAIN=http://www.stringbusters.com/ko-kat/BASS%20STRINGS/LA%20BELLA/"]http://www.stringbusters.com/frameset.asp?...NGS/LA%20BELLA/[/url]

Sorry and good luck

Edited by Grand Wazoo