Why become a member? ×

Gear upgrading & sound issues: where do I go from here?

Ancient Mariner

There's nothing wrong with Ashdown's earlier amps - their pre-EVO series ABM amps are pretty bomb proof. I'm not a fan of Ashdown cabs though, and suspect that may be where a lot of people have a problem. As a result of people thinking Ashdown's aren't up to much you can pick up a 300 watt head for under £250 - the steal of the century if you ask me. Especially keep an eye out for people selling the early ABM200. It's a 300 watt head in disguise - they were never 200 watts, and that's straight from an Ashdown employee.

It's a good time to be looking at second hand gear...

I recently purchased my setup to replace my previous amp which was too quiet.

I got a Little Giant 350 second hand off here for £150 and a 2x10 compact cabinet new for £150

I am very happy with it. Certainly got enough volume for what I want and not too expensive either.

I bought an Ashdown combo not long ago and so far im pretty happy with it. Actually considering what i got for my money i'm very happy with it, it sounded better (to my ears) than anything on offer in the same price range, even some that where quite a bit more expensive...

I think the key thing to remember is they're cheap. Unlike a bass where it'll feel/look worse quality, they can suffer reliability issues (which obviously you can't tell on your first try).

They are outstanding amps for the money, but you do take a risk. They've been a bit better recently apparently, but you still won't be getting the reliability you'd get from a more expensive amp.