Why become a member? ×

Going to London......buying a bass

cameltoe

Whats the point of trying a bass out and then buying it online??
There's a great probability that the one you buy online will be different enough for you not to be happy than the one you loved in the shop!
Support your bricks and morter music shops and do yourself a favour by doing so

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='783889' date='Mar 23 2010, 08:01 PM']Whats the point of trying a bass out and then buying it online??
There's a great probability that the one you buy online will be different enough for you not to be happy than the one you loved in the shop!

Si[/quote]

+1 - if you can show Alex at the Gallery a legitimate lower price on a website he'll almost certainly try and match it - just talk to the guy - that's why he and the Gallery are the best in the biz... (Mark at Bass Direct is pretty wicked too - props to you as well Mark)

M

[quote name='Raggy' post='783555' date='Mar 23 2010, 04:27 PM']I always enjoy having a look in Vintage and Rare though :)[/quote]

me too... especially for a noodle on the 6 strings. definitely the best shop on denmark street, shame about the price tags :rolleyes:

[quote name='cameltoe' post='783665' date='Mar 23 2010, 05:49 PM']I'm unfortunately not going to be able to make it outside of London- I've got 2 days off from work and we're going to be staying one night in Camberley, with one night/one day in London.

BUT- I'm not going to Denmark street after all these recommendations for The Gallery. It would have been preferable for me to find a load of stuff in just the one shop anyway, as the Mrs would soon get annoyed by being dragged from shop to shop.

I'll hit the Gallery, and see what they have. If I find a bass I like that's a NEW model, you guys are right, I'll have to bear in mind that I can probably get one 'online' for alot less, and will probably walk away if the mark-up is too high, but 'down here' in Cornwall I don't have the oppurtunity to try anything other than Mexican's and Squiers, unless I want a bass ordered in specially. Hopefully going to London will give me the chance to try a few of the guitars that have been catching my eye lately and have a better idea of what I want.

There's also the slim chance they might have something like a second hand Jap Precision that I fall in love with, in which case I'll be buying on the spot!

Oh, and looks like the best idea for me is to sell the Mexican privately then!

Keep an eye on the classifieds![/quote]

is Mansons no good in Exeter? Their website always looks reasonable for gear..

[quote name='Sibob' post='783889' date='Mar 23 2010, 09:01 PM']Whats the point of trying a bass out and then buying it online??

Si[/quote]

I'll happily support my local music shops, but the point that was being made- if you had read the whole thread- is that London is ridiculously overpriced. I'm always happy to pay a bit extra to get that extra service, but when you're talking several hundred pounds more, then it's not something I can actually afford to do, especially when these aren't my 'local' music shops. I've got my eye on a Classic 50's P bass- these can be had at £479. The Gallery wants £665.

My local music shop can get these in at £499, and yes, that's where I'll be buying it.