Why become a member? ×

Complete set of gold hardware from 1981 Precision Special

Hi guys

My main gigging bass is my '81 Precision Special which has very heavy duty gold hardware as listed below (I've also pimped it a bit with a few extras). Anyway, I'm not really a pimped bass kinda guy and am going to stick chrome gear on, so all the gold stuff is going.

The below are original 1981 Fender:

Bridge (very heavy duty & high mass, not the classic bent bit of tin)
Tuners (Fender stamp)
Neckplate & screws (Fender stamp
String retainer
Finger rest (heavy brass)
Knobs
Strap buttons

I've added the following:

Gold Schaller straplocks
Gold PUP cover/ashtray (authentic Fender)
Anodised gold pickguard (authentic Fender)

So, if you've a Precision (or a Jazz I guess) you'd like to pimp, this could be your lucky day. £150 buys the lot? Pics of most of the stuff (except the pickguard) on the bass at left below

Chris

Edited by Beedster

Hey Chris! I think the change from gold to chrome will be a definate improvement, not many pickguards go with red n gold! Be like a duck dunn,Tis a beauty of a bass especially the relicing. The gold hardware would look amazing on the blue one tho!! Ahh one day maybe I'll have a collection like that. Precision and ampeg is always a winning combo.

Hi guys

Thanks for the above. Had a couple of PMs, and given how tortuous it is to reply with the old 'one PM per minute' rule, I'll respond here

The tuners are in almost perfect condition. Given that this bass stays perfectly in tune over several weeks I doubt they've been used much apart from getting new strings up to tension. They look pretty much the same shape/style as those on my '78 fretless neck so I assume they're standard fit. I certainly hope so as it's those tuners that are going on this bass once the gold has gone!

The bridge and thumb-rest are both pretty aged, that is, the gold has darkened somewhat and they both look a little reliced. The bridge is 100% functional

I don't want to split at this point as I'll need to use the cash from the sale to buy the remainder of the chrome stuff I need!

Chris