Why become a member? ×

Does A Fender Control Plate Fit a Lakland JO5?

Rumple

Well I finally got myself a Lakland Joe Osborn and I'm enjoying the passive tone of a jazz bass again, I like the look of the concentric knob layout you get on the US version of the JO and was wondering if this was an easy mod to do? sods law says the control plates are not the same.

Any advice would be appreciated.

R.

[quote name='Rumple' post='781885' date='Mar 21 2010, 06:19 PM']Well I finally got myself a Lakland Joe Osborn and I'm enjoying the passive tone of a jazz bass again, I like the look of the concentric knob layout you get on the US version of the JO and was wondering if this was an easy mod to do? sods law says the control plates are not the same.

Any advice would be appreciated.

R.[/quote]
I believe that if you contact Lakland they will sell you what you are looking for - I don't know what the price would be.

[quote name='Rumple' post='781925' date='Mar 21 2010, 06:47 PM']Really? I would have thought making a Skyline look more like a US model would be frowned on.

I might drop them an e-mail and see how I get on.

Thanks Dave[/quote]
Well, I could be wrong but I seem to remember a basschatter (I can't remember who) doing exactly what you're looking to do.

I believe one way Lakland do stop people making a Skyline look like a US is that US necks don't fit Skyline bodies.

Rumple,

I have a Skyline JO and recently fitted an Audere JZ3 preamp (great combintion btw). The JZ3 comes complete with control plate and dropped into the JO with no problem. screw holes in same place etc. The Audere is designed to fit a Fender Jazz so as far as I can see the control plate on the JO is the same as a Fender. Hope that helps.

Ian

Interesting stuff, thanks chaps.

Looking promising, maybe I'll pick up a Fender blank plate for now and see how it fits, assuming you can get hold of them that is.

I'm not worried about making it look like a US model but I do love that trans white and stacked knob look they do on the American made JO :blush:

Cheers

R.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='781919' date='Mar 21 2010, 06:41 PM']I believe that if you contact Lakland they will sell you what you are looking for - I don't know what the price would be.[/quote]

$85 plus $15 postage. Easy as that, thanks EssentialTension :)

R.

Ordered it but they are out of stock of some of the parts to make one up so I have to wait a couple of weeks before it ready.

Brian at lakland says the screw holes are in a different place but otherwise it should fit.