Why become a member? ×

MUSIC = MONEY??

jamieariss

I have always done well out of playing- since I was 15 I have been in bands playing 3-4 nights a week ( consideredthat semi-pro ) and when I started working after college again I always played 3-4 per week- mostly within an hour of home.

I was fully pro for three years and was playing5-6 per week but travelling up and down the country and abroad. Definitely a young mans thing.

For myself I am happy with having my own business and playing 4 times per month now.

I suppose I looked on playing in bands as having my own business and whilst I would prefer being pro to working for someone else it is very hard work and unless you are very lucky you will struggle financially.

The good thing is being so young you have nothing to lose and I think a lot of employers will like a degree, whatever it is in. For myself I would certainly employ someone with a music degree- it is a sign someone can learn and can be part of a team.

Bob

Jamie!!

it really depends who you know/meet.. guys can be lucky, a good friend of mine landed a few sugababes gig a few years ago, when he was 19.. and he didnt study, that's set up his career.. n he's killing the scene.. just been blessed by being in the right place at the right time.

mate.. if u move to london on a degree.. the student load will keep u above water finacially while u make that decision to go full time or not??

and if u dont youve still come out with a degree.. and u'll meet great players.. ect.. also depends where u go.. check out all the places that suite what you wana do, and dont listen to bad reputations of uni's ect.. it depends on the person..

hope tht helps! havn't seen u in time bro! hopefully we'll hook up soon! for a beer.

Phil

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='782326' date='Mar 22 2010, 01:47 AM']"... yer bedda slur, da mustang da!"

Worst-case scenario: Every weekend, for the rest of your miserable life.[/quote]

I really honestly can't remember the last time I had to play that, and I gig on average 3 or 4 times a week.

[quote name='solofunkyjazz' post='782931' date='Mar 22 2010, 11:18 PM']I really honestly can't remember the last time I had to play that, and I gig on average 3 or 4 times a week.[/quote]

Did a dep gig last night and we were struggling for a set..and we didn't do that song...canna understand it :) :rolleyes: :lol:

[quote name='Tech' post='782332' date='Mar 21 2010, 07:07 PM']networking is key.[/quote]
I thought I'd highlight this line. As unfair and impractical as it is you often get good gigs from friends, not by being better than the other guy. Sometimes many years after the networking. Business skills are very important to getting money from music.

Few musicians take even a single business class or study the subject at all. And we're famous for blowing fortunes and burning bridges :)

I do it.

I am lucky in that I teach and gig on bass, elec guitar, classical guitar and drums, all to a high standard, so it allows me a very full teaching schedule and enough gigs that I have to turn stuff down sometimes.

Not sure if I could do it if bass was my only thing though.

Reliability is the other thing. It must be treated as a BUSINESS and you must not let people down. And be smart, punctual, professional, enthusiastic.

Is there anything else you'd be interested in studying? If so, perhaps do that, and whilst you're at uni get involved in the music societies. At bristol we've got a JazzFunkSoul soc, and a Live soc, so i've managed to do quite alot of playing over the last year. Whilst I haven't been trying to network through it, since I don't intend on going pro, it would definitely be possible, and gives you a much better fall back plan

• 5 months later...

This whole post has completely put me off doing it at university :) I would absolutely love to do a course on this at uni next year, but i am worried about earning money in the industry as i would have to be financially secure after uni, which i know sounds so snobby but its just my opinion :/