Why become a member? ×

upgrade help

firstkingofleon

If you want to stick with a Jazz bass, I don't think it's worth it with a budget of £500. You'd be spending money for a bass that's not any better than the one you already have.

There's a fair few threads around about the CVJ and VMJ and they both seem about the same quality as a MIM Jazz.

Edit: Might be worth looking into pickup upgrades though.

Edited by ThomBassmonkey

[quote name='firstkingofleon' post='781057' date='Mar 20 2010, 07:08 PM']probally want to move away from jazz bass, although i do love my squier, i would just like some variety,
something with a heavier, muddier sound would be nice.
cheers for the help though,
if i cant decide on a new bass i will defenatly check out some pickup upgrades.[/quote]

Trust me the pickups and the wiring looms in the CV are sh|te, change them with some decent ones and you will have a bass you will be proud of.

For a thicker and fatter sound you may want to look at something like one of the Fender Classic series Precisions - They're Mexican, but lovely quality with properly finished necks & classic anodised scratch guards, etc. Failing that, for something really muddy, look for a Epiphone EB3, Hofner Contemorary Series Club Bass, or a Yamaha BB714BS. All of these are close to your price range and have a pickup nudged right against the end of the neck for true "mudbucking" properties!

Rich.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

Bit of a blatant plug but how about a G&L tribute? Loads of sounds available and it's very Fender like so not too unfamiliar (although it's like a p bass not a jazz)
Just so happens I have one for sale ;o)
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=79943&st=0&p=766904&#entry766904"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry766904[/url]

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='781063' date='Mar 20 2010, 07:13 PM']For a thicker and fatter sound you may want to look at something like one of the Fender Classic series Precisions - They're Mexican, but lovely quality with properly finished necks & classic anodised scratch guards, etc. Failing that, for something really muddy, look for a Epiphone EB3, Hofner Contemorary Series Club Bass, or a Yamaha BB714BS. All of these are close to your price range and have a pickup nudged right against the end of the neck for true "mudbucking" properties!

Rich.
[/quote]

Muddy?

Only played the BB714BS once and it wasn't muddy, unless the high cut was on (or what ever it was) and the neck pumped P- almost flat but i found it one fat rockin' bass!

Reminds me, win the lottery and buy a few :brow:

But the older style P-bass will defo give you fatness your after! i don't find the EB3 or 214BS muddy, just FAT and woofy,

just my experiences though, probably me too used to playing my Attitude Thinking about it

i have looked at the epiphone EB3 before, but havn't found anywhere near that stocks them. so havent had the chance to try,
not sure if it would feel as much of an upgrade as im after, would have to give it a try.
The Fender Classic series Precisions do look rather nice also,
i wouldn't mind a bass that will suit me well for the next 2-3 years through uni.
thanks for all the help guys.

In my view, if you pay £500 you'll still need to change the pickups!

As the guys have said, if you have a bass you like to play and just want to improve the tone, spend £150 and replace the wiring and the pickups. Get this right and your bass will sound like a £1500 instrument.

[quote name='firstkingofleon' post='781057' date='Mar 20 2010, 07:08 PM']probally want to move away from jazz bass, although i do love my squier, i would just like some variety,
something with a heavier, muddier sound would be nice.
cheers for the help though,
if i cant decide on a new bass i will defenatly check out some pickup upgrades.[/quote]

the epiphone EB3 has a very muddy sound, but also gritty.
im currently selling mine after buying a Lakland, if you get a chance i would save up an extra £100 and pick yourself a second hand musicman, or a Jazz.
also look at Ibanez's SR series very nice basses.

if you want any more info on and EB3, send me a message :)

I'd consider one of the new MIM Precisions, prob with maple board option. They really are very nice. And you'll have a keeper.

[url="http://www.fender.com/uk/products/search.php?partno=0146102332"]http://www.fender.com/uk/products/search.p...rtno=0146102332[/url]

Edited by bh2

Warwick's a good option too. Given their slump in popularity you can pick them up for much less than their real value. Had a Corvette for years, and it was a far more versatile beast than my Stingray. Stuck through a decent amp it was nothing short of awesome - huge growling sound, endless sustain even from a passive. Could do everything from rock chunk to jaco funk.

Hmmmm, just realised I miss it quite alot, actually... :,-(

Yes it's the newst model, the ICB300EX available in black and white. I ordered it from america over the internet as even after customs charges it saved me 60 quid.

It has a pretty wide range of tone, active pick-ups with boost/cut for treble and bass, volume and you can fade between the pickups.

Looks really cool and is pretty light but because of this neck dives, having to buy a mroe sturdy strap is the only problem i've had with it haha.

Neck feels great, dead easy to plays, seems well made and came out of the box well set-up.

If you want i could list the specs and try and find a better review somewhere for you? :)