Why become a member? ×

Squier '60's Classic Vibe Precision.

cameltoe

I've been hearing nothing but good things about the Classic Vibe Jazz, and I wondered if the praise was as appropriate for the '60's Precision version? My local music shop had a bunch in the other day- no precision unfortunately, but I did test out the jazz and it felt nice, although I wasn't blown away, primarily because it was wearing stainless strings which sounded really clanky, and the set up was poor. Out the box they should be wearing nickel strings right? Maybe the shop messed around with it. Anyway- I have an '08 Mexican precision which I love, and was wondering if the Classic Vibe Precision would be on a par (or even better) than the Mex? (I read a review where some guy said it blew his mex out the water and wasn't far away from the Am Std.)

If so, I have a cheap Aria knocking about, might consider trading it in for the CV and then selling the Mex.....

On a different note- would a switch to a Mighty Mite neck on either a Mex P. or a Squier CV be a good modification to make? Reason I ask, is because my Mex has rosewood fretboard, and the CV has rosewood, but I love Maple necks! If it would improve either bass to whack a maple Mighty Mite on, then I may consider it.

A sonic blue CV P with a maple neck gets my GAS flowing.....

The CV 60s P is a superb bass... I've tried a couple. Both the P and J would make great replica projects... check this out on TalkBass...

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=611781"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=611781[/url]

Superb!

Speaking from personal experience, I have liked them so much I've bought all 3 of them and I must say each of them are spot on in recreating the bass that they are aiming to mimick.

The Jazz in particular strikes me as the most accurate in terms of sounding like the Fender 60's model. But as I keep saying the one that has definately won me over and that I just can't put down is the '51 Precision in Lake Placid as per my avatar. Whatever you buy will be ok but take my word and try the '51 before so you don't miss the chance to hear and feel how cool it is to play.

I almost bought the '51 reissue last year, can't think why I didn't in the end, as I love the telebass look. Between the '51 and the '60's I'd be very torn- the '51 does have the maple neck!

I'm trying to establish whether these are actually better pieces of kit than the Mexican's full stop. I know better is subjective! My mexican does everything I need it to do, but it doesn't look as cool as either of the squiers. If they're better, than it's a no-brainer for me!

I've got a Mexican Jazz and recently bought the 60's CV precision. To be honest, there is no dip in quality whatsoever in terms of the build of the CV. It's on a par if not better put together than my Jazz. I love it. I only really bought it as a practice bass to leave in my practice room, now I can't see me ever buying another Precision and I have a difficult choice to make every time I have a gig. And the CV cost me far, far less.

Like many who own them I'm a bit doubtful Fender aren't gonna have a look at the current situation regarding Mexican Fenders and Squier CVs and do some pricing/quality adjustments. It seems very common knowledge now that CVs on the whole are equal or better quality than Mexicans. People aren't just gonna pay more to have Fender on the headstock.

I couldn't recommend these basses enough. I've never met or heard anyone who owns one have a bad word to say about them. I got lucky on ebay finding someone in my town selling one for £190 (with a warwick hardcase!).

[quote name='cameltoe' post='780023' date='Mar 19 2010, 05:15 PM']I almost bought the '51 reissue last year, can't think why I didn't in the end, as I love the telebass look. Between the '51 and the '60's I'd be very torn- the '51 does have the maple neck!

I'm trying to establish whether these are actually better pieces of kit than the Mexican's full stop. I know better is subjective! My mexican does everything I need it to do, but it doesn't look as cool as either of the squiers. If they're better, than it's a no-brainer for me![/quote]

Where money was (a Pink Floyd song) and no object to me I tried both the Jap 51 reissue and the Sting version (I am sure the Sting one is also not made in USA) and believe it or not I liked the Squier better!

I tried a Lake Placid Blue Jazz Squire (Buffy Guiro Sig model...or some endorsed geeza i've never heard of anyhoo) in Exeters mansons last weekend and i was blown away. Not bothered about the endorsment but the play, feel and even the sound was superb.......i'm currently trying to negotiate with the wife :) !!!

[quote name='Rasta' post='780264' date='Mar 19 2010, 09:51 PM']I tried a Lake Placid Blue Jazz Squire (Buffy Guiro Sig model...or some endorsed geeza i've never heard of anyhoo) in Exeters mansons last weekend and i was blown away. Not bothered about the endorsment but the play, feel and even the sound was superb.......i'm currently trying to negotiate with the wife :) !!![/quote]

i'm guessing u mean the james johnston (from band biffy clyro) sig bass? i was googling buffy guiro hahahahahaha!!!!

[url="http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0301078502"]James Johnston Squier[/url]

[quote name='Rasta' post='780264' date='Mar 19 2010, 09:51 PM']I tried a Lake Placid Blue Jazz Squire (Buffy Guiro Sig model...or some endorsed geeza i've never heard of anyhoo) in Exeters mansons last weekend and i was blown away. Not bothered about the endorsment but the play, feel and even the sound was superb.......i'm currently trying to negotiate with the wife :) !!![/quote]

Not seen many of those about but love the matching headstock and the LPB colour.

[quote name='cameltoe' post='780023' date='Mar 19 2010, 05:15 PM']I almost bought the '51 reissue last year, can't think why I didn't in the end, as I love the telebass look. Between the '51 and the '60's I'd be very torn- the '51 does have the maple neck!

I'm trying to establish whether these are actually better pieces of kit than the Mexican's full stop. I know better is subjective! My mexican does everything I need it to do, but it doesn't look as cool as either of the squiers. If they're better, than it's a no-brainer for me![/quote]

I am sure you would have seen this video already, if not, check it out, it's a shootout between the 3 Classic Vibe basses and their Fender counterparts, by none other than the great Ed Friedland

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Cd98DH__U"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Cd98DH__U[/url]

Edited by bass5

[quote name='bass5' post='780629' date='Mar 20 2010, 11:21 AM']I am sure you would have seen this video already, if not, check it out, it's a shootout between the 3 Classic Vibe basses and their Fender counterparts, by none other than the great Ed Friedland

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Cd98DH__U"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Cd98DH__U[/url][/quote]

They just look cooler don't they?

They sound pretty damn good too- maybe a tad 'brighter' to my ears, but then they are brand new.

I don't know about the rest of you, but as good as this video is, you only really find out about how the bass sounds and what it can/can't do once you're playing with a band.

Hopefully the squiers would be as powerful as the fenders to either drive a band or cut through the mix.

[quote name='cameltoe' post='780783' date='Mar 20 2010, 02:02 PM']They just look cooler don't they?

They sound pretty damn good too- maybe a tad 'brighter' to my ears, but then they are brand new.

I don't know about the rest of you, but as good as this video is, you only really find out about how the bass sounds and what it can/can't do once you're playing with a band.

Hopefully the squiers would be as powerful as the fenders to either drive a band or cut through the mix.[/quote]

Well Ed has an intensive collection of basses, I don't suppose he keeps them all with fresh strings every week or so, the squiers only sounded brighter because of the new D'Addario's they come with which are exceptionally good strings for this basses's money.

After the stings break in the Squier's do sound [b]a lot[/b] mellower as you can hear... err.. here!

Here's one I made earlier :)

[url="http://www.captnmoto.co.uk/videos/51precision.mp3"]Squier '51 Precision Bass with Seymour Duncan's Basslines Quarter Pound and EB Super Slinky aged strings[/url]