Why become a member? ×

Fender Truss rod query

Delberthot

I've searched as much as i can but can't find an answer on here.

I'm going to fire a new set of strings on my precision at the weekend and am also going to give the truss rod a tweak as it does play well but could play even better if the neck was straighter.

The issue I have is that the adjustment is at the body end and its the big screw type jobbie.

Now it looks like the only way i can get to it is by removing the neck but I don't want to keep doing that to adjust and I don''t have the necessary tools/skill to fit metal inserts into the neck

Is there any way to adjust one of these type of truss rods without removing the neck?

I have three basses with this type of trussrod if you mean the big cross screw head.

The neck has been on and off my 60s precision for years and it still screws back on ok. as long as you are carefull and dont overtighten it should be fine.

alternively, you can get some access if you take the screws out of the scratch plate and move it away you can get a screwdriver in one of the 1/4 slots.

i would only do that if there are no strings on or they are slack and check that the truss rod is not stiff and dont force it.