Why become a member? ×

fingering question?

FunkyFinger

Back when I first started playing if I needed to fret a note on a whatever string and if the next note was on a different string I would very often use a different finger. For example if my 3rd finger had just played an octave and i wanted a fifth next it would be my 2nd finger fretting it.

After I'd been playing a while I decided to take a few lessons to rid me of the bad habits I felt sure I'd picked up, the tutor I went to was of the one finger per fret school and he encouraged me not to use the above method and stay 1fpf. I took his advice on board and changed my methods and learnt a good deal from him.

Recently I've found that I'm returning to my old way of fretting a different string on the same fret with another finger, but I've also recently found that not every tutor advises using 1fpf all the time which leaves me wondering if I should bother to re-banish my one fret two finger method?

I'm not trying to start another 1fpf debate the question is does it matter if two fingers are used on the same fret but different string?

Gary

I think you'll find the fretting issue falls into a few camps on here (could possibly turn into a heated debate...). If this technique works for you & it's not causing you any grief (i.e: awkward wrist angles & tension that might lead to more serious issues down the line), then why not carry on with it.

My own personal preference is to use 124 down low (frets 1 -5) & then use 1fpf from there onwards. I tried using 1fpf below the fith fret, but found it was causing me grief. Have a look at Dave Marks' tuition videos on YouTube - there's a particularly good one about tension in the fretting hand on there.

Good luck!

Cheers,
iamthewalrus

My diplomatic reply is that 1fpf is a good place to start from. However, it definitely isn't always the easiest or most economical way to play some things. If you have a way that works better for you then no one is going to shout at you :)

Edited by thepurpleblob

Thanks for the replies people it was in fact the davemarks(and a few other peoples) videos that prompted me to post about this.

think I've decided not to worry about it hopefully my left hand has got enough sense now not to get into the tangles it used to do.

thanks.
Gary

Guest leebass69

[quote name='FunkyFinger' post='777902' date='Mar 17 2010, 07:55 PM']Thanks for the replies people it was in fact the davemarks(and a few other peoples) videos that prompted me to post about this.

think I've decided not to worry about it hopefully my left hand has got enough sense now not to get into the tangles it used to do.

thanks.
Gary[/quote]

Hiya Gary just read your post with a smile, I think being told something by someone trained on any level is great but bear in mind everyone's different-stuff that works for you may not for me and vice versa. As for fingering techniques, I started off being 'careful', one finger at a time which is fine until you get, erm..a little bored and frustrated which led onto thinking more open mindedly, now I'm using one finger covering up to 3/4 strings-pending what I'm playing of course! If you picture fretting E on the 7th fret on your A string with your fingertip, your 1st and 2nd finger joints can 'snap' onto the 7th fret of your D and G strings...you get it? Now this to me makes my playing so much easier, over time the whole chording, bars I'm playing just roll one after the other. Like I said before, it might not work for you? Oh and over time (if this helps) I've learned, if anything, not to have a 'style' which possibly sounds the dumbest thing ever-it was a kinda epiphany I had and after that point I played the way I think and more importantly feels right to me cos if it feels right, it is!

Cheers Gary, Lee

[quote name='leebass69' post='777956' date='Mar 17 2010, 08:38 PM']Hiya Gary just read your post with a smile, I think being told something by someone trained on any level is great but bear in mind everyone's different-stuff that works for you may not for me and vice versa. As for fingering techniques, I started off being 'careful', one finger at a time which is fine until you get, erm..a little bored and frustrated which led onto thinking more open mindedly, now I'm using one finger covering up to 3/4 strings-pending what I'm playing of course! If you picture fretting E on the 7th fret on your A string with your fingertip, your 1st and 2nd finger joints can 'snap' onto the 7th fret of your D and G strings...you get it? Now this to me makes my playing so much easier, over time the whole chording, bars I'm playing just roll one after the other. Like I said before, it might not work for you? Oh and over time (if this helps) I've learned, if anything, not to have a 'style' which possibly sounds the dumbest thing ever-it was a kinda epiphany I had and after that point I played the way I think and more importantly feels right to me cos if it feels right, it is!

Cheers Gary, Lee[/quote]

I get you kind of like 1 Barre per fret

Guest leebass69

[quote name='FunkyFinger' post='778031' date='Mar 17 2010, 09:48 PM']I get you kind of like 1 Barre per fret[/quote]

Yeah, basically there's (to me) no rules. As far as my influences go, Billy Sheehan has to be the one who started it all with his version of rule breaking, it's all fluid and smooth and when he 'goes off on one' it's seriously unconventional.

Christ, I've never typed so much!

[quote name='FunkyFinger' post='776901' date='Mar 17 2010, 04:47 AM']Back when I first started playing if I needed to fret a note on a whatever string and if the next note was on a different string I would very often use a different finger. For example if my 3rd finger had just played an octave and i wanted a fifth next it would be my 2nd finger fretting it.[/quote]

To me this matter is independent of the 1fpf/124 fingering debate.

As in your example above, if you were going from C on the G string to G on the D string, then on bass guitar it is generally considered acceptable to use an adjacent finger, e.g 4 to 3, or to use the same finger, i.e. 4 to 4. Most people find that it is easier to get a legato (smooth) transition between the two notes going from 4 to 3, but it can also be done with practice from 4 to 4.

Either is fine, but you would likely have intonation problems with the 4 to 3 fingering if you played fretless bass, and certainly on double bass the 4 to 4 method is encouraged, even when doing legato bowing.

As others have said, barre approaches can also be used as can Billy Sheehan's "rockin' on the bar" (sp?) technique.

Hope this helps!

Jennifer

I'm pretty much with Jennifer on this one.

I often use different fingers to play notes on the same fret-especially with my
ring and little fingers. Even though I can cross strings with the same finger it is
sometimes more practical and,most of all,comfortable to just switch fingers.

I'm not really big on using the barre technique. I very occasionally use it
if I'm doing something really fast,but usually i prefer to 'roll' my finger from
one string to the next. It almost looks similar to barring-but it's not.

Ultimately,like most technical things,it's about getting the job done efficiently,
and the more options you have the easier it becomes.

Thankyou for the replies people. and particular thanks to Jennifer who has quite possibly saved my Washburn (I'd been toying with the idea of a fretless conversion on it).

Lee I've been giving the method you suggested a go and It's working quite well I just need to practice it to gain some consistency.

thanks again
Gary
:)