Why become a member? ×

FS. Music Man Sub4 Active. Central London **SOLD**

dave_bass5

I got this in a trade with Wayne a couple of months ago and really like it.
So much so that i now want a "proper" SR4.

Condition is very good considering its age. The body finish is almost perfect as far as i can see. Ill update this if i come across any marks etc. Ill not say perfect as someone can always find fault with something if they want to look hard enough.
The control plate has a few spots on it but nothing drastic. Knobs work silently and there is no issues with the 2 band EQ.

The neck doesn't have any major marks or scratches on it, again, as far as i can see. A couple of very small marks on the edge of the headstock, where the paint has come off. Im sure a black marker will cover these up.

All in all its a fine gigging bass. Ive been using this instead of my Lakland recently. Also comes with a EBMM gig bag. They same type as the Sterling by MM (and, i assume, the real MM basses).

Weight is 9.5lbs.

The only real issue i have with it is the strap pin on the top horn is loose. Its almost all the way in but wont budge (again, ive been gigging with it like this) but there is a slight gap underneath that's big enough to put another washer or to cut it off. In fact i might give that a go this week.
Its a Dunlop strap pin and im happy to give the buyer a set of the bits that go on the strap as well if i keep the pins on.

Ideally i 'd like £350 but if people want to point out that its too high or point me to one thats going for a lot less i might re consider. As i traded in my HW1 Jazz this is what im basing my price on. Plus there was a 5 string version going on here a while ago for about £450 i believe.

Im based in central London and for now i would rather buyer collects, but i would be willing to post to UK mainland at buyers cost later on if i dont get anyone locally.

Cheers.

Edited by dave_bass5

I personally would say that £350 is a fair price. I tried to sell mine last year (black, very good condition), and got a load of messages from some guy pointing out that on was sold on this very forum for £295 (he even sent me the link). Please don't agree to go that low - I still wanna sell mine!

[quote name='Malc62' post='775492' date='Mar 15 2010, 06:26 PM']I personally would say that £350 is a fair price. I tried to sell mine last year (black, very good condition), and got a load of messages from some guy pointing out that on was sold on this very forum for £295 (he even sent me the link). Please don't agree to go that low - I still wanna sell mine![/quote]

Cheers.

Was yours the 5 string one? I remember almost putting in a bid for one but decided to go 4 string.

Great bass this, had a lot of fun with it but I don't get on with SR neck I will be getting a Sterling soon based on my experience of this bass.

Price wise I think it's a good price considering I paid £380 for it about 6 months ago and I thought that was cheap.

Dave is a lovely guy and great to deal with.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='775496' date='Mar 15 2010, 06:30 PM']Cheers.

Was yours the 5 string one? I remember almost putting in a bid for one but decided to go 4 string.[/quote]
No, mine is the four string (advertised via Gumtree). Respect to the guy who thought he'd got a bargain at £380, though! I have seen the on eBagum for over £400; worth a bit of research.

Cheers Wayne.

I thought i would struggle with the neck but it feels really nice. Not quite as fast as my DD but still a lot more playable than the last 4 string P i had.
The experiment has worked and now it time to get the real deal, even if it might only be a Sterling by MM due to low funds.
Ideally i want Pete A's SR4 but i have a feeling that will go before i can raise the money.

This was originally my housemate's bass before Wayne bought it. I gigged it a few times and he never really played it so it was almost like new!

The small area of pitting on the control plate is from being left in the case for a year as my mate gave up playing bass.

Sounded huge through my then Hartke rig, definitely every bit a "proper" USA Musicman for silly money

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='775514' date='Mar 15 2010, 06:44 PM']This was originally my housemate's bass before Wayne bought it. I gigged it a few times and he never really played it so it was almost like new!

The small area of pitting on the control plate is from being left in the case for a year as my mate gave up playing bass.

Sounded huge through my then Hartke rig, definitely every bit a "proper" USA Musicman for silly money[/quote]

I think I played 2 gigs with it so all in all it has probably done less than 10 gigs.

Interestingly there's one of these on eBay at the moment for £600!

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MUSIC-MAN-BASS-AND-CASE_W0QQitemZ170459347897QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item27b02b3bb9"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MUSIC-MAN-BASS-AND-C...=item27b02b3bb9[/url]

Bless 'em!

Cheers guys.
Its nice to get some background info on this. WOW, £750 eh? maybe ill take a walk up to the Bass Celler at some point.

I intend to gig it until its sold or i crack and buy something else before its sold. I like everything about it other than the texture on the back of the neck. I would prefer something a bit more classy, especially on the back.

I was very hesitant about using a SR with a pick, playing Motown, Beatles etc but i find the tone can be very mellow. In fact to my ears it does upright bass better than my DD, both with rounds on them.
I do think i might get an even better tone with a 3 band EQ, for a slight mid boost if nothing else but by al accounts there isnt a great deal in it.

I do like the 2010 special edition Silverburst Ray34, not sure if its a bit too flash though.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='775580' date='Mar 15 2010, 07:34 PM']Best looking SR [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=80867"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=80867[/url][/quote]

Oh yes, although im sure i saw a White one a while ago, that was lovely as well.
Other than Sunburst i dont have any special colours im looking for, matching headstock would be nice and the Ray34 has this.

I think £800 is out of my budget, at least at the moment.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='budget bassist' post='775707' date='Mar 15 2010, 09:16 PM']I think £350 is about right, i sold mine for about that much about 6 months or so ago, and that's what i paid for it as well.
Lovely basses, sounds exactly like a stingray to my ear, and for half the price.[/quote]

Sell me your Streamer, you really don't want it anymore :):)

Great basses these SUB's. Someone is going to get a cracking bass at this price.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='776142' date='Mar 16 2010, 12:15 PM']I shouldn't be tempted to buy this back but I am.[/quote]

Isnt that the BC way lol.

All this MM/SR love going around at the moment is all down to Linus, make him buy it for you (and ill put the price up ;-)

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='776152' date='Mar 16 2010, 12:28 PM']Isnt that the BC way lol.

All this MM/SR love going around at the moment is all down to Linus, make him buy it for you (and ill put the price up ;-)[/quote]

You can't blame me. I'm just providing the information. It's like blaming a library for all the history in the world. I blame Dave for starting a thread a while back about explaining the whole Stingray thing :) Guilty as charged you are sir. You should be paying myself and Wayne compensation :rolleyes:

[quote name='Linus27' post='776163' date='Mar 16 2010, 12:40 PM']You can't blame me. I'm just providing the information. It's like blaming a library for all the history in the world. I blame Dave for starting a thread a while back about explaining the whole Stingray thing :) Guilty as charged you are sir. You should be paying myself and Wayne compensation :rolleyes:[/quote]

Ok, ill give you a discount on the DD and ill give Wayne a discount on the Sub. Cant say fairer than that now.

Actually if Wayne hadn't persisted with getting my HW1 off me i wouldn't be here now. I would be happily playing my DD.

Now that your happy with your SR4 you'll be wanting to buy a new bass lol, whats next? Maybe a "real" P ;-)

I was also considering a G&L 2000 but i really cant get over the horrible looking headstock. Shallow i know.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='776171' date='Mar 16 2010, 12:45 PM']Ok, ill give you a discount on the DD and ill give Wayne a discount on the Sub. Cant say fairer than that now.

Actually if Wayne hadn't persisted with getting my HW1 off me i wouldn't be here now. I would be happily playing my DD.

Now that your happy with your SR4 you'll be wanting to buy a new bass lol, whats next? Maybe a "real" P ;-)

I was also considering a G&L 2000 but i really cant get over the horrible looking headstock. Shallow i know.[/quote]

True, we will blame Wayne. He can buy his SUB back for an over inflated price and as I have been dragged into this, he can buy me a Warwick Streamer $$ in Natural which is the bass I am gassing for but don't need. In fact, if he mugs Budget Bassist, he can get me his one for nothing :):)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='776188' date='Mar 16 2010, 12:56 PM']I must admit all this SR4 GAS is making me think the DD should go as well.

Or i should just stick to what i have. But thats way to easy :)[/quote]

Keep the DD, buy an SR4. If you find you don't use the DD once you get the SR4 then sell it. Like I said to you earlier, if you sell the DD and miss it, its going to be bloody hard to get another. I would not part with the DD until you have an SR4.