Why become a member? ×

I'm Too Sexy For My Bass...Right Said Fred

iconic

Being new to bass I can read tab (who can't) but thought I will have a go at reading 'proper like music init'...and this sounds wrong to me...

I have:

E-F-G-B-G-E.....E-F-G-B-G-E....D natural-D-C-C-A-C and so on but there are sharps at the very start of the 1st bar..what do these denote.... too sharp everything on that line (stave)?

Edited by iconic

See attached file - The problem is that the original is just the first page of a vocal/piano score - It's in treble clef. I've done a quick new one for you of the basic bassline & fill with fingering and position markers (in the bass clef this time!) You should find it much easier! :)

The sharps at the start of the line denote the key of E Major. The notes adjusted are F#, C#, G# & D#.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='774216' date='Mar 14 2010, 12:05 PM']See attached file - The problem is that the original is just the first page of a vocal/piano score - It's in treble clef. I've done a quick new one for you of the basic bassline & fill with fingering and position markers. You should find it much easier! :lol:

The sharps at the start of the line denote the key of E Major. The notes adjusted are F#, C#, G# & D#.[/quote]

You are a true hero, OTPJ :)

Just to add to the above. The sharps and flats in a group at the start of the piece of music denote the key the music is in.
It also shows which notes are globally sharp (or flat) the whole way through.

That is unless there is a sharp, flat or natural sign next to a specific note. This is a temporary modification and applies to the note it's next too and to all of the same notes in that bar (including octaves). From the next bar onward the "global" sharps and flats apply again.
That can throw people out as you can, say, sharpen the first note in a bar but forget to sharpen the second one because there's no "accidental" marked for that specific note.

It's well worth having a session with a tutor on this sort of thing and also the "road signs" in a piece of music. Things like 1st time through, second time through, repeats, sections and "go back to the sign and then play to the end" etc.

It's not hard once you are shown but if you don't know what it all means it's easy to get lost. I know :rolleyes:

[quote name='iconic' post='774178' date='Mar 14 2010, 12:23 PM'][...] too sharp everything on that line (stave)?[/quote]

[quote name='Paul_C' post='774200' date='Mar 14 2010, 12:44 PM']yes, if you see an F you play an F# because the # on the F line tells you to.

the ♮ cancels the # on that line eg. the D followed by a D# in bar 3[/quote]

No wonder so many people don't/won't/can't read music. That sounds so illogical and unnecessarily complicated. I'd like to learn too, but things like this suggest it is going to be a real uphill battle, and I'm still uncertain how I will benefit from it.

It's really not that complicated to understand.

If you are in the key of,say G, every F you play will be an F sharp-Play a G major scale and you
will see why. This will be denoted at the start of the piece with a sharp sign on the F line. If you are later
required to play an F natural,a natural sign will be placed by the note,which is then applicable to the rest
of the bar. The same thing will happen if you have to sharpen or flatten a note. These are called accidentals.

In this piece we are in E,so we sharpen every F,C,G,D unless otherwise noted. Again,play an E major scale
to find out why.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='774216' date='Mar 14 2010, 12:05 PM']The sharps at the start of the line denote the key of E Major.[/quote]

[quote name='Doddy' post='774402' date='Mar 14 2010, 04:12 PM']In this piece we are in E,[/quote]

C# minor anyone?

and why not?

Not sure if this will help anyone, or if it's appropriate for the thread, but as a n00b musician I found it quite handy myself (considering I've been too lazy to memorise the circle of fifths). My tutor told me a quick way of finding the key, given the key signature. Logically it's already pretty much obvious, but I wouldn't have thought of it by myself.

[attachment=44849:keysig1.jpg]

Here we have the key signatures, for the sharps all you have to remember is to go up a semitone from the last sharp, and you have your key signature. For example:

[attachment=44850:keysig2.jpg]

The last sharp here is A#, go up a semitone and you have your key, B.

For flats, it's just as easy. All you have to remember is that the 2nd from last flat, is the key... Pretty neat.

[attachment=44851:keysig.jpg]

That's all I wanted to say, not sure if the same can be applied to the bass clef (sorry to blaspheme, but I haven't learned anything about the bass clef yet), but maybe at least one person will get something from this.

[quote name='Twigman' post='776001' date='Mar 16 2010, 09:27 AM']B#=C

:smoke:[/quote]

Good try,buy no.
In the key of C# minor the seventh note is a B,and if you were to raise it
it would make it a B# not a C.
They may be the same note enharmonically,but they are technically very
different.

[quote name='Doddy' post='776346' date='Mar 16 2010, 03:28 PM']What was so funny about my post?[/quote]
your assertion that the notes were the SAME but DIFFERENT
:)
just seemed a bit desperate to me

how can notes be [i]the same note enharmonically,but they are technically very
different.
[/i]?

Either they are the same note or they are not.

[quote name='Twigman' post='776349' date='Mar 16 2010, 03:32 PM']your assertion that the notes were the SAME but DIFFERENT
:)
just seemed a bit desperate to me

how can notes be [i]the same note enharmonically,but they are technically very
different.
[/i]?

Either they are the same note or they are not.[/quote]

In the key of C# major or minor there is no C natural.
Let's take C# major for ease. The notes are C# D# E# F# G# A# B#. (In minor the E A B are natural).
In a major or minor scale you have one of every 'letter' so the seventh note has to be a B# and not
a C as you don't have a C and a C# in the same scale.
If you were then to apply this to chords,say a C# major 7 the notes are C# E# G# B#. It's a B# because
it is the seventh note. A C would be flattening the root.
Same note enharmonically-different function technically.