Why become a member? ×

New Gibson SG Bass

Hello....Ive just aquired a new Gibson SG Bass in worn cherry... very nice it is too,,,plays just like a Gibson bass should !!.I am wondering if there are any spares/upgrades or replacement bridges(like 3d or badass type) or saddles that could be fitted to allow better adjustment for individual action/spacing, on the bridge...I've been used to my Wawrick for over 20 years and thats got adjustment all over the shop,so, just wondering if any one knows of such improvements available to the Gibson Bass Bridge...Thanks in anticipation.....STEVE....

[quote name='neepheid' post='771415' date='Mar 11 2010, 12:24 PM']+1 for the Hipshot - see the full skinny here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=17555"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=17555[/url][/quote]
Nice one...I saw a reply from you to Clarky about his Gibson bridge lifting and checked out the Hipshot..Looks good...will get on n fit it on........price is good as well about £60.00 + postage from U.K....Thanks again....p.s. any ideas on a better bridge for a Hofner Club bass (les paul type shape)...?? very hit n miss.....

[quote name='evilLordJuju' post='772978' date='Mar 12 2010, 05:23 PM']The Hipshots are great - i'm yet to hear anything bad about them - there is a 2 point and 3 point version with slightly different spacing. Make sure you get the 3 point version.[/quote]

---------------------------

Hi evilLordJuju and all contributors to this topic,

Having recently bought a Gibson SG Bass I went about changing the strings, altering the action and adjusting the intonation, it's doable but sure isn’t easy with the Gibson 3 point bridge :wacko: .

Having read this post and followed the treads I've placed an order for a Hipshot 3 point replacement bridge from the U.S of A. Fingers crossed I should get my hands on it mid next week. I was planning on doing the replacement myself; let you know how it goes :lol: .

Any tips on do's and don’ts fitting the new bridge would be gratefully received :rolleyes: .

Oggy :)

--------------------------

[quote name='Oggy' post='777322' date='Mar 17 2010, 01:05 PM']---------------------------

Hi evilLordJuju and all contributors to this topic,

Having recently bought a Gibson SG Bass I went about changing the strings, altering the action and adjusting the intonation, it's doable but sure isn’t easy with the Gibson 3 point bridge :wacko: .

Having read this post and followed the treads I've placed an order for a Hipshot 3 point replacement bridge from the U.S of A. Fingers crossed I should get my hands on it mid next week. I was planning on doing the replacement myself; let you know how it goes :lol: .

Any tips on do's and don’ts fitting the new bridge would be gratefully received :rolleyes: .

--------------------------[/quote]

There are two types of bolt (different threads) - compare them with the ones you take off to make sure you use the right one.

If there's any evidence of the threaded inserts in the body lifting, it might be an idea to epoxy them into the body. If you're doing that, leave the area where the bridge earth wire makes contact with the threaded insert free of epoxy.

I've heard of 2 instances of missing allen keys. The saddle adjustment one is some small daft imperial size which I forget. It would be easier if they just remembered to supply BOTH keys.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='neepheid' post='777359' date='Mar 17 2010, 02:33 PM']There are two types of bolt (different threads) - compare them with the ones you take off to make sure you use the right one.

If there's any evidence of the threaded inserts in the body lifting, it might be an idea to epoxy them into the body. If you're doing that, leave the area where the bridge earth wire makes contact with the threaded insert free of epoxy.

I've heard of 2 instances of missing allen keys. The saddle adjustment one is some small daft imperial size which I forget. It would be easier if they just remembered to supply BOTH keys.[/quote]

Hi neepheid,

The new bridge has arrived, nice chunky piece of kit. It came with the small key but the large one is nowhere to be seen – not a problem I have a key that will fit.

I was thinking about one of the comments made regarding having the metal bridge in direct contact with the surface of the Bass.

Do you think it would have a big effect on the overall tone / sustain if I were to sandwich a thin piece of felt between the underside of the bridge and the surface of the Bass? (Like a gasket) The two mounting bolts are pretty hefty affairs and I think would act as a good conductor of sound / vibration into the Bass without dampening the string vibration too much.

I’m just thinking about protecting the Bass surface under the bridge. What are your thoughts?

[quote name='Oggy' post='792062' date='Mar 31 2010, 03:48 PM']Hi neepheid,

The new bridge has arrived, nice chunky piece of kit. It came with the small key but the large one is nowhere to be seen – not a problem I have a key that will fit.

I was thinking about one of the comments made regarding having the metal bridge in direct contact with the surface of the Bass.

Do you think it would have a big effect on the overall tone / sustain if I were to sandwich a thin piece of felt between the underside of the bridge and the surface of the Bass? (Like a gasket) The two mounting bolts are pretty hefty affairs and I think would act as a good conductor of sound / vibration into the Bass without dampening the string vibration too much.

I’m just thinking about protecting the Bass surface under the bridge. What are your thoughts?

Oggy :)[/quote]

I certainly wouldn't put anything there if I could possibly avoid it. The ideal bridge (IMHO) is light in mass, but extremely rigid (and rigid probably being the more important), so that vibrations from the string get passed into the body without let or hinderance. Putting felt between bridge and body would pretty certainly damp out a lot of what you really want to keep (and what you bought that bridge for...)

[quote name='Oggy' post='792062' date='Mar 31 2010, 03:48 PM']Hi neepheid,

Oggy :)[/quote]

I certainly wouldn't put anything there if I could possibly avoid it. The ideal bridge (IMHO) is light in mass, but extremely rigid (and rigid probably being the more important), so that vibrations from the string get passed into the body without let or hinderance. Putting felt between bridge and body would pretty certainly damp out a lot of what you really want to keep (and what you bought that bridge for...)

[quote name='AlanP2008' post='792991' date='Apr 1 2010, 09:41 AM']I certainly wouldn't put anything there if I could possibly avoid it. The ideal bridge (IMHO) is light in mass, but extremely rigid (and rigid probably being the more important), so that vibrations from the string get passed into the body without let or hinderance. Putting felt between bridge and body would pretty certainly damp out a lot of what you really want to keep (and what you bought that bridge for...)[/quote]

Hi Alan,

Yes, I think you're right - I'll just have to bite the bullet and go for it. I keep telling myself that I'll never sell this bass so won't have to worry about decreasing the value by installing the new bridge; problem is - I keep seeing all the lovely examples of other basses for sale on this site.

If I could find something that would act as a protective gasket without effecting the vibration transmission I'd still be tempted.

Thanks Alan.