Why become a member? ×

Hohner professional B bass repair

daz

I have come into possession (£26 ebay) of this Hohner professional B bass, with a Steinberger drop D tuner bridge, and EMG select pickups. Thats all i know, don't know if it has a model number or any way to tell how old it is.(except that the guy had it for 5 or 6 years) Does anyone recognize it? Anyway, it has a crack going from one of the switches back to the end (see pictures) I know nothing about this dusty old bass except that it had been in the guys bedroom (next to the radiator?) for 5 or 6 years. Two of the knobs are missing and the switch seems to have ben snapped off. There is no serial number on the headstock, although there is on the electrics cover on the back. I also need a small battery cover as this one has been lost.

There is a problem with the electrics. I put a battery in and the light came on intermittently. When i plugged a lead in there was no sound at all through the amp. I am hoping to get it back in working order. The crack i think i can repair myself, dont know much about electrics though, beyond a quick probe with a multimeter for circuit testing or a dab of solder. Anyone know of a guy anywhere in the Chester area can do a fix on this maybe?

Also does anyone know where I can get hold of a manual or circuit diagram for this? The Hohner website seems bereft of such information?

[u]Hohner Professional B bass & Steinberger drop D tuner bridge[/u]

[u]Below: closeup of crack on bottom of bass[/u]

[u]Below: closeup of the electrics cavity[/u]

Edited by daz

I had the same problem, They have a problem with the battery box terminals. Just try opening the battery cover and lifting the bottom edge of the battery a little. This did the trick.

I have just put mine on ebay as i only used it for the De-Tuner and its a cracking setup. If you want to look at mine before it goes i am only in Great sutton (E.Port)

Justin.

Edited by BIG.J

I'd forgotten about that!!!!

If I remember, the actual pre *looked* different. All the electrics are in the cavity.

In the B, the pre was a small box held within what looked like a double battery box (but actually a single + pre).

In my estimation they sounded pretty much the same and may have been different versions of the same circuit.

The one Lemmy has would fit & fill all the holes properly.

I have an Artec 2 Band (Vol, Pan, Concentric Treble & Bass) in the drawer for the day I (perhaps) part with my B Bass V, as it currently has a John East U-Retro in it and a pair of Joe Barden J twin-rail pups. It sounds sensational & plays beautifully. The only prob with the Artec is it will leave the LED & switch holes vacant. I've seen people use small rubber plugs or black dome-headed screws to fill those.

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='771303' date='Mar 11 2010, 09:55 AM']The only prob with the Artec is it will leave the LED & switch holes vacant. I've seen people use small rubber plugs or black dome-headed screws to fill those.

G.[/quote]

I'm filling the LED hole on mine with a series/parallel switch, the active/passive is going to have stacked controls for the piezo in there

I guess you could fit a series/parallel where the active/passive switch is and keep the LED to indicate this? I'd change it to blue though, i think it looks rubbish in red!

[b]Big J:[/b] Not sure what you mean about lifting the bottom of the battery? Fiddled about with it to no avail though. Does anyone know where i can get a battery compartment cover for this (pictured) Can anyone tell me what that piece of recrangular box is next to the battery? It has a hole on the top of it with the letters L and H at either side of the hole, and a semi circular arrow, pointing to each letter. Sort of indicating Low or High maybe? Below it the word [i]OUT[/i]. Anywho whats all that about? I know its going to be something obvious, but my excuse is i have never owned an active bass before :)
pic below.

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' post='772051' date='Mar 11 2010, 08:09 PM'][b]Big J:[/b] Not sure what you mean about lifting the bottom of the battery? Fiddled about with it to no avail though. Does anyone know where i can get a battery compartment cover for this (pictured) Can anyone tell me what that piece of recrangular box is next to the battery? It has a hole on the top of it with the letters L and H at either side of the hole, and a semi circular arrow, pointing to each letter. Sort of indicating Low or High maybe? Below it the word [i]OUT[/i]. Anywho whats all that about? I know its going to be something obvious, but my excuse is i have never owned an active bass before :)
pic below.

[/quote]

The box next to the battery *is* the pre-amp. The hole allows access to a small pot which turns the output up or down. Personally I found the whole thing intensely complicated. If I still had this, I'd take it out (as I actually have) & fit an Artec. (Actually I fitted a John East).

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

• 4 months later...

Hi,
I am new to the forum, sorry if I am bumping this post (doesn't seem all that old).
I have recently acquired a Hohner B-Bass too, a slightly different model with the battery in the same compartment as all the wiring and the pre-amp, I am not sure if it is older or newer. But anyway, I did some research when I got it, in case I ever needed to fix it (it worked absolutely fine when I got it) and found a wiring diagram in an old basschat discussion at:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=44498"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=44498[/url]

Just passing it on in case you are still interested.
This is a cracking bass, I hope you manage to fix it!

• 10 years later...

Hi I ve just bought the same type of bass as a project to do up , through neck , the whole bass is pretty rough , neck looks good frets possibly need re fitting , electrics on and off , I m looking to veneer the front with burr maple  and respect the back plus neck in gloss black blending  it into clear on the front , I m struggling with the electronics , so does anyone know of a decent pre  amp , active, passive plus good quality pups ?  Maybe John east or? Maybe Aguilar pickups or ? I know it ll cost more than the bass is actually worth but just a hobby thing really ,   I don t mind routing out and fitting more knobs etc  just want something that sounds great , any advice would be appreciated thanks