Why become a member? ×

Grade 5... Help!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!

mgibson

So any way, last week I handed in my GCSE options form with Music as my first choice ( :rolleyes: )!!! So anway 'cause being able to play grade 5 things is like A* level and I play the stuff ok already, I've asked my teacher if I can do grade 5 now... Well he said yes!!! So anyway, any one who has information on how to beat grade 5 into a living pulp when you sit the exam can you help me. I'm ok with pieces for now (that might become another thread) but I would like to know about all the other questions and stuff. Even if you don't have any info on the exams, anything to do with technique and good soloing at that level would help. (OK I lied, I will ask about the pieces...)

Anything would help, thank you!!! :)

I teach rockschool grades so I've got all the books, sample questions and stuff.

Learning the set pieces is fairly straightforward, they're all in 4/4 and are pop, metal, funk, rock and roll and blues styles. The scales you need to learn are major, minor pentatonic, Dorian and mixolydian. The arpeggios are major, maj7, min7b5, dominant 9 and diminished 7.
There is also EITHER a sight Reading test or improvisation test as well as general questions.

The questions are theory, such as musical terms, note values and key signitures and there are also questions on the bass about mechanical components of the bass, tone adjustment and tuning methods.

Hope that helps.

I teach rock school too. perhaps this lot might help.

60% of the marks are allocated for the prepared pieces. as mentioned above they are fairly straight forward, with no real surprises.
be aware that good credit is given for soloing in a relevant manner appropriate to the style of the song. this means not sticking a "slap yo' mama" solo on a mellow piece etc... use dynamics to create movement, tension and just be musical!

what you should always remember is that you can never overprepare. you'll need to be fluent in your playing of the set elements of technique, and be able to explain yourself in a clear and concise mannerin order to show understanding of the technical aspects.

The rock school stuff is so easy in comparison to the stuff i have to do on my Classical Trombone! X_X

i'm doing GCSE/ Intermediate 2 Music its very similar, don't get caught out like on lad in my class who can't read music and knows no music theory as the final exam is mostly styles techniques and listening + your performance exams

I have a Grade 5 piece question for the Rockschool stuff (doing it to get it out the way!) I can play the pieces fine but in the areas left blank or areas where it says expand what sort of things are the examiners looking for?
I don't get lessons on bass i'm entirely self taught but i need to pass my grade 5 or we can't sit the INT 2 final exam "/