Why become a member? ×

mains power conditioner

thebassman

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1383498592' post='2265077']

And do we really believe that our precious, expensive amps etc are really so sensitive that they can't deal with life on the road? If that was really the case then I'd say they were unfit for purpose!
[/quote]

Good point. Most amps are pretty rugged kit and generally built to tackle the hardships of life on the road.
Great explanation of the RCD too. Found that useful to know.

Cheers Flyfisher

Dave

Just to clarify in my own head, (and defeat GAS :P) the consensus is that for UK power a mains conditioner isn't necessary and that the amp itself should be robust enough in it's design to cope with power irregularities anyway?

Snake oil or is it worth getting one for the current/load protection anyway? I'm looking at the Samson Powerbrite PB10 because it ahs the C13 ports on the back and the blurb claims it does surge protection, peak voltage spike clamping and RFI/EMI filtering. Whatever they are!

[quote name='Si600' timestamp='1383553497' post='2265646']
Just to clarify in my own head, (and defeat GAS :P) the consensus is that for UK power a mains conditioner isn't necessary and that the amp itself should be robust enough in it's design to cope with power irregularities anyway?

Snake oil or is it worth getting one for the current/load protection anyway? I'm looking at the Samson Powerbrite PB10 because it ahs the C13 ports on the back and the blurb claims it does surge protection, peak voltage spike clamping and RFI/EMI filtering. Whatever they are!
[/quote]

Altho uk voltage is generally safe and amps are pretty rugged I'm kinda with you on this. I've seen first hand the damage that can be done from the national grid and think any form of protection is better than the standard in the existing kit. It will offer additional security against some/many supply issues. Thing is you will never know whether or not the Samson has saved your gear or the amp was rugged enough to cope. Mmmmmm ??????

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1383750611' post='2268549']
I've seen first hand the damage that can be done from the national grid . . . .
[/quote]

Can you elaborate?

Was it faulty wiring or really a result of what the national grid was pumping through the wires? If the latter, why isn't the whole country up in arms about their household electronic appliances constantly being damaged?

After all, there are about 60m people in the UK but I'd bet only a tiny, tiny percentage of them are bassists, so if those bassists are experiencing damaged gear because of the mains supply then I'd expect the general population would be experiencing far bigger problems.

Unless our bass gear is all crap?

Edited by flyfisher