Why become a member? ×

Fender Mustang / Bronco / Musicmaster

Dusty

Can any of you guys enlightern me as to the differance between these basses..
I worked out that they are all short scale (what I'm after) and s/h prices seem
similar. So advice and knowledge sought.

If this subject has been brought up before... sorry, but a link would be good)

Thanks in advance :)

Les

Rapidly, they're all Fender 'student' models.

The Mustang has been around since the mid '60s - a very nice bass (the Competition models were very cool). Easy to play with a decent sound - not far off a P thump.

Musicmaster - less elaborate bridge and a guitar pickup. Followed the Mustang's introduction (I think) but I'm not sure when. Not a versatile instrument IME but some decent, surprisingly full and fat tones. Easy to play but some really dodgy ones from the mid to late '70s (I played some really bad examples - this doesn't mean they're all poor though).

The Bronco was introduced in the very early '80s (I think - maybe late '70s) Similar body shape to the Mustangs and Musicmasters but with a Tele shaped neck. Be careful - some Broncos had a 34" scale. There was a beautiful example sold on ebay in the US last week - lovely sunburst and one of the most beautifully figured birds-eye maple necks I've seen

Edited by lozbass

Musicmaster has a slab type body and the pickup is a telecaster pup.
Mustang has a scalloped out back so its more comfortable.
The neck on my Mustang feels marginally wider than the Musicmaster.
They both give lovely tone,the Mustang similar to the P bass.
I know bugger all about the Bronco.
Mine are both '77/8.

Mustangs are more expensive,they have a better bridge and through body stringing.

Edited by tarcher

+1 - there were three really nice '60/'70s models on ebay last week - all were expensive but great examples. I've had both Mustangs and Musicmasters and prefer the former (a more sophisticated instrument in nearly every way). Prices appear to be rising now, especially for older models. An older Mustang could be a great, playable investment. I think there's something really cool about them too.

Edited by lozbass

• 2 months later...

[quote name='squirebass' post='838557' date='May 16 2010, 12:33 AM']As a matter of interest what do you think of my modded Squire Bronco? She sound very much like my Standard Jazz bass.[/quote]

my guess it would with 2 jazz pickups. Lol.
But did the short scale add any more thumpy bass, that jazzes tend to lack?

ebay has these:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Mustang-Vintage-Trans-Brown-Bass-77-78-/150440989549?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2306fb536d"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Mustang-Vinta...=item2306fb536d[/url]

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-MUSTANG-BASS-Guitar-Marshall-Amp-Strap-Lead-/200470794045?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2eacfd8f3d"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-MUSTANG-BASS-...=item2eacfd8f3d[/url]

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='838581' date='May 16 2010, 12:39 AM']my guess it would with 2 jazz pickups. Lol.
But did the short scale add any more thumpy bass, that jazzes tend to lack?[/quote]

I’ve actually got flatwound strings on it and yes it’s definitely got more low end thump then the jazz. It’s become my main gigging bass at the moment.

[quote name='lozbass' post='766401' date='Mar 6 2010, 08:47 PM']The Bronco was introduced in the very early '80s (I think - maybe late '70s) Similar body shape to the Mustangs and Musicmasters but with a Tele shaped neck. Be careful - some Broncos had a 34" scale. There was a beautiful example sold on ebay in the US last week - lovely sunburst and one of the most beautifully figured birds-eye maple necks I've seen[/quote]

That sounds more like the Fender Bullet to me.