Why become a member? ×

Tech 21 VT Bass - the right pedal for me?

sPiKi

I know there is almost universal praise for this pedal but just before I take the plunge and order one, I wanted to get some feedback from those of you who have one.

I play in a covers band and we literally cover the A to Z of contemporary music, from Abba to ZZ Top. In essence we are most at home playing rock and play lots of stuff like AC/DC, Journey, Bon Jovi etc as well as more modern stuff like KOL, Killers etc.

My set up currently is an American Std Jazz, MusicMan Stingray 4 HH, Ampeg SVT200T SS 350W head and Ampeg 410 HLF. I occasionally use a Boss CEB 3 Chorus and a Nathan East parametric EQ.
I have a powerful sound from the 'Ray and a very good clean & compressed sound with the Jazz but find that I need a bit more oomph from it and a bit more power/grit/dig/drive call it what you will.

Forgive my limited descriptive skills when it comes to tones etc but do you reckon the VT is the best purchase for me?

Many thanks fellow bassmen

I’ve got a musicman sterling running through an ashdown ABM500 anniversary head with a bass pod XT. I couldn’t get the sound I wanted so I bought a VT bass but then, I was colouring my sound to sound like an Ampeg SVT. You’ve got the real thing. Why would you want to buy an emulator?

It’s a fantastic pedal for me but is it what you need with your rig?

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' post='765750' date='Mar 6 2010, 12:22 AM']it could be a good move.
you really must try before you buy though. I really love my big rig (Marshall DBS with MB / Jubilee cabs), but it's a really useful standby for a recording or hired rig situation, it can really add something cool to your sound 'pallette'.
Where are you based?[/quote]

I'm based in N. Ireland.

I have a good set up. Had the SVT since I bought it new back in 94-95 & it sounds great as a solid state amp. As a group we have our own PA (KV2 Audio), lighting rig etc etc. We only play one venue where we use the in-house PA so virtually every night, its like the circus coming to town!

While I have a decent on stage sound, when using the Jazz, it just lacks a bit of depth. I have tried out an SVT classic which def has a different & more desirable sound & that's the reason for considering the VT pedal. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to identify a stockist locally to try it out.

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' post='765968' date='Mar 6 2010, 12:27 PM']perhaps an eq might be worth a try.
the boss eq is quite easily found on the dreaded bay quite reasonably priced, if it doesn't do what you're after you should be able to recover your outlay.
i hear the barber linden eq is great. perhaps someone with more experience of one might be able to help out here![/quote]

Thanks dude' (sorry :)). The hunt for the elusive tone goes on. Might try both and see what's best.

[quote name='seymourfluid' post='765694' date='Mar 5 2010, 10:44 PM']I’ve got a musicman sterling running through an ashdown ABM500 anniversary head with a bass pod XT. I couldn’t get the sound I wanted so I bought a VT bass but then, I was colouring my sound to sound like an Ampeg SVT. You’ve got the real thing. Why would you want to buy an emulator?

It’s a fantastic pedal for me but is it what you need with your rig?[/quote]

I don't consider a solid state Ampeg 'the real thing'. The VT Bass can help you get some of the tube sounds of the B15 and SVT valve amps - I say go for it!

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='766700' date='Mar 7 2010, 09:41 AM']I don't consider a solid state Ampeg 'the real thing'. The VT Bass can help you get some of the tube sounds of the B15 and SVT valve amps - I say go for it![/quote]

I agree. My bro has an SVT classic and it sounds completely different. Managed to pick up the pedal yesterday on the bay for £75. Its used but mint. Will report back when I try it out next week.