Why become a member? ×

OBP-3'ing my MM Stingray

Basser Boy

Hello everyone. I've had an untouched Aguilar OBP-3TK/PP preamp sat on my desk for the last year an half and have never installed it. The idea has always been to install it on my MM Stingray 4, but the wiring diagram screamed out 'don't do it Dave! you're going to fudge it up'. So yes, I've no experience with replacing pre amps. Infact the only thing I have done is replace the pick-ups on my old p-bass, and that was just a swap job.

So I'm trying to get as much knowledge on the process before I begin to rip out the inners of my stringray. Can this preamp actually be added to a guitar with just one pickup? I only ask this because all of the provided wiring diagrams indicate the wires going to two pick ups. And Is there anything else that is maybe vital for me to know before i begin?

Thanks

Dave

[quote name='Basser Boy' post='762077' date='Mar 2 2010, 06:42 PM']hmm really a bad idea? I originally got the idea because I know flea uses a OBP-1 in his flea bass (or did). Was there anything in particular you didn't like about the sound of the stingray with the obp3?[/quote]

It just lacked the punch of a real SR5, and not enough bass. It kind of sanitized the sound.

I would agree, dont do it, it wont be a stingray. I have a Aguilar Pre in one of my basses and it isn't that great. People don't usually mod stingrays, they don't really need it and if the sound isn't right for you maybe try another MusicMan model or a different bass IMHO.

• 4 weeks later...

I would definitely put it in. I built a bass for our very own Zapp here on Basschat and we had much more tonal variation than any Ernie Ball. Hugely powerful preamp with tons of bass boost if required. And there are lots of wiring vaiations to have switchable mid-frequencies. Do it!