Why become a member? ×

Going Wireless? What do i need to know?

AttitudeCastle

Hey All,

I plan to go wireless in the next year or two

I know vaguely about the whole licensing thing? [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=10362&hl=wireless"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...amp;hl=wireless[/url] <-- was a help haha

so, other wise what do i need to know?

i like to know whats going on before hand when it comes to kit

Yes this is a "someone being 100% clueless" and i will probably be someone asking stupid questions and the like but please bare with me?

Many Many Thanks in Advance
Adam,

Stick with a UHF unit, Buy a decent one not a cheap one from Ebay?

You may need to look at weather you will rack mount your unit and then look at the Antena positioning etc. I have an Audio Technica half rack unit with small removable rubber duck antenas, Realy good unit and not a bad price used?

Thing is, Will you realy use one as i barely use mine these days...Lol

Justin. :)

[quote name='BIG.J' post='758066' date='Feb 26 2010, 11:59 AM']Stick with a UHF unit, Buy a decent one not a cheap one from Ebay?

You may need to look at weather you will rack mount your unit and then look at the Antena positioning etc. I have an Audio Technica half rack unit with small removable rubber duck antenas, Realy good unit and not a bad price used?

Thing is, Will you realy use one as i barely use mine these days...Lol

Justin. :)[/quote]

thanks!

Yeah, thats why i think i'm putting of going wireless for a few months right now in these "inside in the corner standing next to the rig i'm borrowing" gigs i won't need it! Lol but we are in talks of supporting a band in their self set up tour on wide free stages :rolleyes:

and i want to be able to dance around our guitarist both on stage and on the fretboard :lol:

Edited by AttitudeCastle

I went wireless a few years ago and i love the freedom it gives.
Believe it or not i started using them because our playing areas/stages were very small. It meant i wasn't treading on my own lead all the time. Plus it handy for soundchecks.
I use the cheap AKG ones. in one band i use the Bug which has a fixed freq and in my main band i use a WMS400 with a belt transmitter. i got this one because we were playing Holiday camps and they tend ot use quite a few radio mics so i needed to make sure i wasn't clashing with them.
To be honest i think im using a illegal freq or channel as ive never bothered changing it from the default one.

Ive never had any problems with either system and considering the Bug system only cost me £99 im very happy with it. I used my bug in the studio once and when i switched back to a lead i really couldn't hear a big difference.
In fact i think ive gone through about 5 basses that ive never heard with a lead plugged in.

My gigs are pretty small though, just weddings and functions and i dont move around much so these cheap ones work fine.

Righty. All UHF systems will be made obsolete in a short time. Ofcom are moving the part of the spectrum allocated to wireless systems from CH67/68/69 to CH38. All kit on CH67/68/69 will become illegal to use, full stop.

There are a few manufacturers that have started producing kit for CH38 already but it's a tad expensive. The government will be operating a compensation scheme for kit that will be becoming obsolete but there's a few problems.

1. Compensation offered will only be at the second-hand value. (And they determine that value. Something purchased for £1k will only be compensated at a negligible amount)
2. It's only being offered on kit purchased before a certain date. (I believe that date is something like Oct08. I may be wrong on that, I'll need to check)
3. And as far as I know, it's only being offered for kit on CH69

Big hire companies etc. are up in arms (with good reason) as their whole hire fleets are being made useless and it'll be costing them thousands to replace what they can't use.

However.... The VHF frequencies used for some older kit, remain unaffected.

Edited by Bankai

[quote name='Bankai' post='758280' date='Feb 26 2010, 03:06 PM']Righty. All UHF systems will be made obsolete in a short time. Ofcom are moving the part of the spectrum allocated to wireless systems from CH67/68/69 to CH38. All kit on CH67/68/69 will become illegal to use, full stop.

There are a few manufacturers that have started producing kit for CH38 already but it's a tad expensive. The government will be operating a compensation scheme for kit that will be becoming obsolete but there's a few problems.

1. Compensation offered will only be at the second-hand value. (And they determine that value. Something purchased for £1k will only be compensated at a negligible amount)
2. It's only being offered on kit purchased before a certain date. (I believe that date is something like Oct08. I may be wrong on that, I'll need to check)
3. And as far as I know, it's only being offered for kit on CH69

Big hire companies etc. are up in arms (with good reason) as their whole hire fleets are being made useless and it'll be costing them thousands to replace what they can't use.

However.... The VHF frequencies used for some older kit, remain unaffected.[/quote]

Sorry this is incorrect.....

All UHF systems are not going to be made obsolete. Yes it's true that there are frequency changes afoot but depending on what system you have already you may be ok. If you use a cheap fixed de-reg product on channel 69 unit then you will need to buy something on another frequency. Some kit such as Sennheiser Evolution product G2 and G3 on range 'E' (UK unit) will run the de-reg frequencies available on Channel 70. These will be un-affected after switchover so if you have one of these units you are safe.

In fact with Sennheiser G3 you can actually run up to six different frequencies on channel 70 de-reg due to a larger tuning window. These frequencies are - 863.100 MHz, 863.400 MHz, 863.750 MHz, 864.225 MHz, 864.550 MHz and 864.975 MHz

Compensation will only be offered to license holders.

Some manufacturers will offer a deal on new kit but it's not a great deal.

Channel 38 can be used immediately in certain areas where available.

Edited by crez5150