Why become a member? ×

Going underground

gary mac

I don't usually resort to tabs, but I'm struggling with The Jam, Going Underground and need to get it nailed by the weekend for my first rehearsal with a new band.

The tabs that I have tracked down, just don't seem right, infact a couple of them are very wrong.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Gary

[quote name='gary mac' post='757179' date='Feb 25 2010, 03:40 PM']I don't usually resort to tabs, but I'm struggling with The Jam, Going Underground and need to get it nailed by the weekend for my first rehearsal with a new band.

The tabs that I have tracked down, just don't seem right, infact a couple of them are very wrong.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Gary[/quote]

My band is going to be doing this one soon as well. And I agree, most of the tabs I've looked at (so far) don't seem right either - I'd be interested in a nudge in the right direction too! :)

I learned this for a gig about 3 or 4 years ago - I found it really hard and had to work it out by ear in the end because most of the tabs I found were wrong (remember these are mostly user submitted). I still don't think I got it totally right and as it was a one off, I've not played it since. If there's a bit you're struggling with specifically, let me know an I'll try and work it out.

A band I was with in the 90's did this one. The drummer had the devil of a time with it, until we picked out the two bass drum beats at the end of his travel around the kit in the intro.

Then add vocals to get the riff.

Once we sorted out when the different instruments came in during the intro, it was sorted. Listen to the drums first, then add one instrument at a time.

Once this was done it's just a count to work out where the start begins in the riff.

Hope that helps

T

[quote name='gary mac' post='757839' date='Feb 26 2010, 07:53 AM']Most helpful chaps, thank you. Will have another bash at it today[/quote]

I just found this on YouTube...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sli0l4YCjys"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sli0l4YCjys[/url]

Seems to be about there, or good place to start anyway :)