Why become a member? ×

Hi, I'm not a bass player

goigne

Hi fro Southampton in the US of K. I'm not a bass player - please stop hitting me..Im interested in getting a bass for computer recording - asI'm sure you're aware the landscape has shifted slightly and with computer recording it causes people who have an idea to want to chime in on collab sites and perhaps become the dreaded m-word...I'm a guitarist who likes the idea of adding an idea or two on bass. I've always admired the way bass glues the other instrumets together..and my favourite players are Jamerson, Larry Graham pre GCS, Billy Bass Nelson and Chris Squire if only for the start of Heart of the sunrise and fish out of water...and yes i do think the second incarnation of the experience was better - the billy cox driven one.
I cannot be molested by angry bassists as i have an entourage which includes bodyguards...anyway I'm looking with interest at a bass that is two steps up from a chipboard wonder - i had my mind on a yamaha BB414, hopefully for £120...

Edited by goigne

[quote name='goigne' post='756026' date='Feb 24 2010, 01:03 PM']Hi fro Southampton in the US of K. I'm not a bass player - please stop hitting me..Im interested in getting a bass for computer recording - asI'm sure you're aware the landscape has shifted slightly and with computer recording it causes people who have an idea to want to chime in on collab sites and perhaps become the dreaded m-word...I'm a guitarist who likes the idea of adding an idea or two on bass. I've always admired the way bass glues the other instrumets together..and my favourite players are Jamerson, Larry Graham pre GCS, Billy Bass Nelson and Chris Squire if only for the start of Heart of the sunrise and fish out of water...and yes i do think the second incarnation of the experience was better - the billy cox driven one.
I cannot be molested by angry bassists as i have an entourage which includes bodyguards...anyway I'm looking with interest at a bass that is two steps up from a chipboard wonder - i had my mind on a yamaha BB414, hopefully for £120...[/quote]

Welcome and don't worry most bassists are house trained enough not to attack withour provocation - just don't make eye contact...

The BB414s are pretty decent basses - but have a look at some Peavey, Cort and Tanglewood stuff too - partularly second hand Peavey stuff. £120 is not much but you should be able to get something on the second hand market.
Enjoy it when you get it...

[i]I've always admired the way bass glues the other instrumets together..and my favourite players are Jamerson, Larry Graham pre GCS, Billy Bass Nelson and Chris Squire [/i]

Are you sure you aren't a bass player trying to wind us up by pretending to be a guitarist?

If not, its to good to be true!

can't go wrong with a Yammie. I have one and I love it. The BB 414 is decent enough for what you want to use it for and at a decent value. If you want something more powerful try the RBX series for Active pickups.

Alternativly look at Ibenez as there lower price basses are supposed to be pretty decent and a good build quality though i've never played one