Why become a member? ×

Sites like MySpace?...

3V17C

OK so I'm looking to get into some new projects and really want to get a reasonable 'online presence' / CV to point interested people to. Usual kinda thing.. some kind of audio player, couple of embedded videos of me playing, some photos, 'about me' page, links etc etc - I started knocking up a website but then thought, well hang on, I can do all that on MySpace but I don't know... looking at MySpace afresh it seems to be even more of a jumbled up mess of adverts and glittery graphics than ever and I just want something nice and simple. So... any suggestions? Don't really want to do a Facebook or Twitter thing (although I will prob link to them.)

I thought maybe ReverbNation or something might do the job? they don't seem to be accepting new profiles at the moment though so any other similar kinda sites where you can put up a good 'musician profile'...? (ideally free BTW!)

cheers

c

I think that a key point here is whether you want a site to refer people to or a site to advertise yourself? I use Myspace to refer people to after I've made contact. It has all the basics for me and I've tailored it to look good using site software such as 'Coolchaser'. But....no one is ever going to find me if they are looking for a bass player so some of the alternatives that are mentioned above may be a better choice.
Cheers,
Jim

[quote name='3V17C' post='755584' date='Feb 23 2010, 10:16 PM']OK so I'm looking to get into some new projects and really want to get a reasonable 'online presence' / CV to point [b]interested people[/b] to.[/quote]

Myspace is still the default as far as I can see.
Generally "interested people" will know what Myspace is and how to use it (a task in itself!) as so many bands and musicians are already there.
As well as the image, tune and video capabilities it also has plenty of link up potential.

It's a case of customising it well and using it's full potential.

Then use all the other social media "Facebook" and "musicians available" sites to direct people there.

I'd also add Gumtree to that list.

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='755814' date='Feb 24 2010, 09:14 AM']Myspace is still the default as far as I can see.
Generally "interested people" will know what Myspace is and how to use it (a task in itself!) as so many bands and musicians are already there.
As well as the image, tune and video capabilities it also has plenty of link up potential.

It's a case of customising it well and using it's full potential.

Then use all the other social media "Facebook" and "musicians available" sites to direct people there.

I'd also add Gumtree to that list.[/quote]

Yeah I think I'll just have to persevere with myspace.. as you say it has all the facilities for audio,video, photos etc its just trying to find good, clean layouts is a pain (especially with my limited knowledge of coding!) Then once I've got enough reasonable examples of my playing etc on there i'll hit all the usual muso wanted sites.

peace

c

[quote name='3V17C' post='755857' date='Feb 24 2010, 09:56 AM']Yeah I think I'll just have to persevere with myspace.. as you say it has all the facilities for audio,video, photos etc its just trying to find good, clean layouts is a pain (especially with my limited knowledge of coding!) Then once I've got enough reasonable examples of my playing etc on there i'll hit all the usual muso wanted sites.

peace

c[/quote]

Check out www.coolchaser.com. They have myspace layouts that generate the coding so all you have to do is copy and paste in the relevant area and job done.

Or buy a book

MySpace for Musicians (Paperback)
~ Frances Vincent (Author)
[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/MySpace-Musicians-Book-Fran-Vincent/dp/1598633597/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267011253&sr=8-2"]Amazon link[/url]

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='Floyd Pepper' post='755813' date='Feb 24 2010, 09:06 AM']I think that a key point here is whether you want a site to refer people to or a site to advertise yourself? I use Myspace to refer people to after I've made contact. It has all the basics for me and I've tailored it to look good using site software such as 'Coolchaser'. But....no one is ever going to find me if they are looking for a bass player so some of the alternatives that are mentioned above may be a better choice.
Cheers,
Jim[/quote]

I'm 100% with this. MySpace can be tailored to suit your look with coolchaser, make it as simple or garish as you like. I got myself out on every site possible after I last found myself bandless. I wound up inside of a few weeks with 5 really good offers so was in a rare position of being able to turn down what would otherwise have been several potentially great opportunities in favour of what looked best to me at that time.

I've recently discovered the MySpace video option as well as the MP3s. Whether I'm on Soundclick or the local musicians site I would usually refer people to MySpace.

As a point of interest Freewebs lets you host your own site and you can build it up with little to no computer skills. The problem is you then need to get your url out there or nobody will know the page exists. I'd also add that as MySpace's popularity is starting to die, Facebook finally seem to be getting their act together a bit more for musicians. A situation that I can only imagine will get better

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='756201' date='Feb 24 2010, 04:10 PM']As a point of interest Freewebs lets you host your own site and you can build it up with little to no computer skills. The problem is you then need to get your url out there or nobody will know the page exists. I'd also add that as MySpace's popularity is starting to die, Facebook finally seem to be getting their act together a bit more for musicians. A situation that I can only imagine will get better[/quote]

Once you've got the contet sorted out you can use it on Myspace and Facebook (and anywhere else)

Free website space is usually not free at all. You pay for the freeness by having crap search engine performance and adverts all over teh site that make you look cheap.
Real webspace is very inexpensive these days anyway.