Why become a member? ×

can anyone ID this bass, looks like very racey!

iconic

Call me shallow, but I simply love the look of this bass, if Porsche made a bass in the 1980's it would look like this :rolleyes:

...I think it's a Washburn (?), even though the title says Alembic, Status, Jaydee etc, I know jack all about Washburn's and no doubt it's gonna be worth a fortune :)

what can you gods of bass tell me about it? The players pretty good too!

I have an off topic question, if I may...

Not knowing much about the software of this forum I'd like to ask how do you insert a youtube link in a post so that it shows as an actual video ready to click 'n' view rather than a weblink?

Thanks and sorry for the interruption.

p.s.: returning on topic: I saw one of those basses at the Bass Centre in London many moons ago, when they still used to be in Wapping High St. It was quite nice but nothing to write home about it, sounded very plasticky as you can hear in that video, not a lot of definition and a mix bag of this and that 80's flair ideas that didn't really came up to much of it to justify desire to purchase it.

Well I wouldn't say they were "plasticky". I suppose it depends on what kind of sound you like. If you are a fan of a crystal clear, hifi-ish sort of sound then you will like these basses. If you are a fan of more traditional P bass sort of sound then they might not be your cup of tea.

As for price, they have been fetching between £300 and £375 on ebay of late. They don't hang around for long. Just depends on individual taste.

These Washburns were basically an all wooden series 3000 Status with the same single tone control (ps1 board i think). I used to work for Status when these came out!
They were a good introduction to Status but didn't 'quite' have 'that' sound (the graphite neck makes all the difference IMO).
The biggest problem with these basses was the fact that they had a phenolic (carbon/plastic) fingerboard, like the real thing, but when the wooden neck shifted the fingerboard didn't, resulting in some real dodgy,rattling basses.
If you can find a good one, you have a fantastic bargain status bass.