Why become a member? ×

Bass Playing live & the Liscencing Act

Cat Burrito

I know we should always proceed with caution when mentioning politics on a forum but this has cropped up on a few sites & I feel this may be of interest to a lot of Basschatters. I would urge you to take a look at this petition though IF YOU PLAY ANY INSTRUMENT LIVE in pubs / clubs. Basically anyone in a band playing in licensed premises is helpng the owner to break the law unless that owner has a licence. Potentially this could criminalise artists who are simply just playing. I play a wide catchment area in largely well established venues but even so. Anyhow here is the link

[url="http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/livemusicevents/"]http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/livemusicevents/[/url]

I would hope the law would be Policed by Trading Standards with a degree of common sense. However the amendment to the act looks like a bit of a hatchet job from what I can see and potentially could harm live music. Take a look. Not trying to scaremonger but potentially this could really affect a few of us.

Edited by BurritoBass

There are lots of petitions and things flying around about this. That is a good thing. Perhaps the government will listen and make licencing realistic

My main concern is the effect of small venues that hold fundraising events like schools and church halls. The paperwork is enough to put off the event organisers, let alone any fee.

I also think it's ill advised to keep saying "large screen sport isn't subject to the licence" as that will probably just add large screen sport to the list of things that need a licence, rather than remove the need for small music events, impromptu playing and that sort of thing from the license requirement.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='751741' date='Feb 20 2010, 01:09 PM']I know we should always proceed with caution when mentioning politics on a forum but this has cropped up on a few sites & I feel this may be of interest to a lot of Basschatters. I would urge you to take a look at this petition though IF YOU PLAY ANY INSTRUMENT LIVE in pubs / clubs. Basically anyone in a band playing in licensed premises is helpng the owner to break the law unless that owner has a licence. Potentially this could criminalise artists who are simply just playing. I play a wide catchment area in largely well established venues but even so. Anyhow here is the link

[url="http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/livemusicevents/"]http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/livemusicevents/[/url]

I would hope the law would be Policed by Trading Standards with a degree of common sense. However the amendment to the act looks like a bit of a hatchet job from what I can see and potentially could harm live music. Take a look. Not trying to scaremonger but potentially this could really affect a few of us.[/quote]

Dude, without wanting to be rude, chill out a bit and don't make this into something it isn't and start scaring people unnecessarily. You have all this [b]completely the wrong way around[/b]. It's situation normal at the moment. The government is trying to improve the situation. Why are you hinting at the potential for criminalising artists and waving your arms about? It's nonsense mate. Even your thread title is inflammatory. You haven't read the proposal have you.

If you want to make an informed decision, rather than a blind emotional one, here are the consultation documents and the impact assessment.

[url="http://www.culture.gov.uk/reference_library/consultations/6499.aspx"]http://www.culture.gov.uk/reference_librar...tions/6499.aspx[/url]

Seems the petitioner is putting a bit of spin into his argument too, and obfuscating the issue by not supplying links to relevant documentation. I think he is trying to make a bit of a name for himself as the people's hero.

The government, well the DCMS, is actually recommending venues with audiences under 100 people become exempt from certain requirements of the Licensing Act so they don't have the current problems with licence applications anymore. This petition is adding fuel to the argument for such, simple as that.

Too many petitions I see are full of rhetoric and Daily Mail-style sh*t. Remember that stupid petition about venue dB(A) levels? A complete misinterpretation of the Noise at Work Regs.

[b]EDIT: [/b]Sorry Burrito, I was a bit full on there, I know you posted with sincere intentions. It's just that some of these petitions are worded in such a way that people misinterpret them and don't research the subject properly. Sorry mate, no offence intended.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' post='751905' date='Feb 20 2010, 04:28 PM'][b]EDIT: [/b]Sorry Burrito, I was a bit full on there, I know you posted with sincere intentions. It's just that some of these petitions are worded in such a way that people misinterpret them and don't research the subject properly. Sorry mate, no offence intended.[/quote]

No worries, as I said 1) I am sure this will be policed with common sense if it does get through & 2) Not trying to scaremonger. Just wanted to make people aware. For the record I've worked alongside Trading Standards before so I doubt they will be chomping at the bit to criminalise every two bit band that plays a backstreet pub.

The fact is, if a venue is putting on a gig without having an entertainment licence, that's their insurance f***ed. Imagine your kid went to the gig and something horrible happened, like a fire, and people couldn't get out because the sh*tty little venue didn't want to spend a bit extra on security so they chained up the rear fire exit. Your kid gets horribly burned along with a bunch of other punters and she gets no compensation for pain and suffering and potential loss of earnings for her now knackered modeling career.

That's what the licensing act is there for, some control and enhanced public safety. The government have realised small venues are getting mired with bureaucracy and that this is making the situation worse, not better as intended. Hence these proposals to exempt small venues from the requirements of the act.

No-one is out to criminalise anyone. It is not a "hatchet job", it is an eminently sensible approach as far a I can see.

From what you have said above, I still think you don't understand what the government is proposing.

[quote name='silddx' post='752646' date='Feb 21 2010, 11:24 AM']From what you have said above, I still think you don't understand what the government is proposing.[/quote]

Siddx, you may well be right. Read your posts back, you do sound a bit strong though. Best of intentions from me but maybe I don't get it fully. As I said at the start, this is why I avoid politics. I certainly don't wish to fall out with anyone over this

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='752799' date='Feb 21 2010, 02:04 PM']I certainly don't wish to fall out with anyone over this[/quote]
I god, I don't want to fall out with you! I'm just trying the get the point across that the current situation is crap, the government know this and want to help small venues. The petition you have signed is simply telling the government to go ahead with the DCMS recommendations.

Cheers man.