Why become a member? ×

HEAVY!!! gauge strings??

desh

Wow! They're definitely heavy guages :) I can always pop to the Humber Bridge (only a couple of miles from my house) and ask if they have any spare?

I use light strings for speed - Status basses have 30-90 (or 115 in the case of the five-stringers) & my Music Man has 40-100 fatbeams.

I suppose it begs the question - Why do you want such heavy strings? The other thing to remember is that the heavier the string set, the more tension you need on your trussrod. Strings as thick as those mentioned will cause your neck to bow like a banana!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='750565' date='Feb 19 2010, 09:46 AM']I suppose it begs the question - Why do you want such heavy strings? The other thing to remember is that the heavier the string set, the more tension you need on your trussrod. Strings as thick as those mentioned will cause your neck to bow like a banana![/quote]
I assume it's for down-tuning. If you brought a .200 string up to normal low E, it might well do more than just [b]bend[/b] the neck! I don't have a copy lying around here, but I seem to remember in this month's BGM there's an interview with Yves Carbonne, who uses a .250 for his low-low-B (octave below normal low-B on a 5-string). I guess a .200 would be good for around F# or something. (EDIT: VK jumped in with the info just above!)

My SUB's tuned in fifths (C-G-D-A, just to be awkward :) ), and I've used the outer four from a heavy five-string set: 50-70-105-135. The tension's pretty high, but I play that bass hard with a pick, so it works beautifully.

Edited by BottomEndian

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='750565' date='Feb 19 2010, 09:46 AM']I suppose it begs the question - Why do you want such heavy strings? The other thing to remember is that the heavier the string set, the more tension you need on your trussrod. Strings as thick as those mentioned will cause your neck to bow like a banana![/quote]

I was playing detuned to A, and I like heavy strings, plus the playing super slow needs the sustain.