Why become a member? ×

Squire P bass upgrade

elliswasp

I have a really nice looking squire p bass which i have already put seymour duncun pick ups in and they sound fantastic but i want to change the neck for a maple one and i wondered what i could do to the old girl to get some more sustain from it also i would love to get rid of the his/hum that i have when im not touching the bass if im playing or have hold of any metal part its hardly there at all but if i let go of it then its there and fairly strongly i have had it looked at and the guy clean up the electrics and i thought it had gone but when i used a rig with a tweeter agan i noticed it again is there anything i can do the get rid of it? change pots ect...

Markus

Edited by elliswasp

[quote name='elliswasp' post='748917' date='Feb 17 2010, 08:45 PM']yeah i apriciate that but if it was the tweeter then it wouldnt get wprsre when i am not touching the guitar would it?[/quote]

Very true.

As for bridges, Badass or Gotoh are the ones usually mentioned. Just a quick disclaimer to say I have never actually bothered to change a bridge so this is all second hand advice!

To be honest I was hoping that somebody who knows what they are talking about would have popped in by now!

:)

lol yeah well im planning on buying an ibanez sr300m fairly shortly so i can the pull my p bass apart and do what needs doing. I do think the hum/his issue might be an earthing issue it makes sense to me for it to be that but im really not sure i am fairly tempted to change the pots as they aint very dear and im under the impression that a good set would make the world of difference.

The only thing is i really like my tone pot i wouldnt want to looe what it is capible of as i find it much better than most tone pots oh and the ive just remembered that the hiss goes away completely when you turn the volume pot down hmm i wonder?

Markus

Wouldn`t say that I know what I`m talking about but, what the heck!

Changing the bridge should give you more sustain. Get a Gotoh or a baddass. The Gotoh`s are usually £30 ish whilst a new baddass is around £70ish. I have used the Gotoh cause I am a cheap ba*tard! If nothing else, they look better. Try WD Music or Bass guitar parts direct.

You can get a Maple Mighty Mite neck off of E bay for around £80 posted. I don`t know what they are like, but they seem to be licenced by Fender.

As for the hum, I think that you may have an earthing problem or mabye you need to shield the cavity as you have suggested. Go for the cheap option first!! Once you get the SR300 it will be, "what P bass?".

Jez

It would be my opinion that you will largely be limited by the quality of the body and neck woods. As a result, trying to get that much more sustain without changing these parts (and obviously that's a bit far....) may not be worth spending a fortune on.

Try a bridge, the Gotoh 201, as mentioned, is excellent - but beyond that, I'd leave it as is!

Cheers,
James

cheers guy i will look in to the gotah and also as mentioned i was planning on changing the neck anyway for a maple one so hopefully with the neck and bridge being changed it might help me some i guess.

also the point made about the sr300 i am getting that impression that you may be right but i do love the sound of my p bass with the pick ups i already have in it now it does have a lovel sound i i dont expect the ibby to sound the same thats the whole point in me buying it i dont want to it sound the same but i would like to just make my p bass sound a little nicer if i can do that for not to much money. its a cream one with a white pick gaurd which is why i think it would look lovely with a maple neck. I personally think it would really finish it off as far as looks go.

Markus

P.S. can anybody tell me how you get your picture up on the left hand side of your posts i cant figure it out for toffee and its winding me up somthing cronic. lol