Why become a member? ×

New bass arrived yesterday!!

attackbass

A CIJ 51 Re-issue Precision Bass, and I can't tell you how happy I am with this bass!!

The finish, fit and hardware are awesome. Obviosuly the bridge and pickup are basic but they are supposed to be (altho I will be chanign the bridge to get better intonation) ! Frets are finished perfectly, and the neck feels really comfortable in my hands. The body is one piece ash finished in sunburst and the neck is one piece maple with a tint to it.

The tone and sustain of this thing is amazing, for such a basic in design instrument the strings ring and sustain with that 'piano string' tone. Through my Orange bass rig the tone is wide open with a lot of depth and very grindy, perfect for rock (think entwistle), if you turn the tone down you get that old skool motown vibe from it. The bass is currently strung with nickel roundwounds so hopefully when i get my ernie ball steels on they'll up the sharpness of the tone again!

I don't find the lack of contours on the body uncomfortable at all, infact I quite like the change and makes it look quite chunky in a cool way! I think the pickup is pretty good really, quite full sounding, the hum is a bit annoying tho so may look into shielding of the bass and if that fails maybe get a split coil pickup. One thing that bothers me, not much but the E string doesn't ring out as well as the other, but I think this me be down to the string guage being a step down to what i'm used to and so i'm playing it too hard!

Over all i'm really happy with this bass!

[quote name='attackbass' post='747566' date='Feb 16 2010, 06:19 PM']A CIJ 51 Re-issue Precision Bass, and I can't tell you how happy I am with this bass!!

The finish, fit and hardware are awesome. Obviosuly the bridge and pickup are basic but they are supposed to be (altho I will be chanign the bridge to get better intonation) ! Frets are finished perfectly, and the neck feels really comfortable in my hands. The body is one piece ash finished in sunburst and the neck is one piece maple with a tint to it.

The tone and sustain of this thing is amazing, for such a basic in design instrument the strings ring and sustain with that 'piano string' tone. Through my Orange bass rig the tone is wide open with a lot of depth and very grindy, perfect for rock (think entwistle), if you turn the tone down you get that old skool motown vibe from it. The bass is currently strung with nickel roundwounds so hopefully when i get my ernie ball steels on they'll up the sharpness of the tone again!

I don't find the lack of contours on the body uncomfortable at all, infact I quite like the change and makes it look quite chunky in a cool way! I think the pickup is pretty good really, quite full sounding, the hum is a bit annoying tho so may look into shielding of the bass and if that fails maybe get a split coil pickup. One thing that bothers me, not much but the E string doesn't ring out as well as the other, but I think this me be down to the string guage being a step down to what i'm used to and so i'm playing it too hard!

Over all i'm really happy with this bass![/quote]

I'm 100% with you on that :) The bridge has to go - a Hipshot makes it so much better & I'm loving the tones with black flats + the bass lines upgrade + no hum here, is your cavity lined with copper foil? Have you tried adjusting the pup height up under the E to improve the string output balance?

I don't think the bass has any shielding at all! Sometimes it hums sometimes it doesn't - quite strange. Going get some of that copper tape stuff and have a go at sheilding as best as possible. I've actually lowered the pickup on both sides about a quarter turn on each screw and it seems a lot better now. From what I can hear the closer the pickup to the strings the more mid it seems to have. I'm going into a ad200b orange head which breaks up really easily but if the pickups are too hot, somtimes it can push the valves too much in the amp, that's what I have found anyway. It now really grinds now tho. I'm sure some more messing with the pickup height will take place over the next month. How have you got your bass so silent?

Bridge-wise I think i'm going to put a fender deluxe bridge on it, i usually love hipshots and especially badass bridges but i'd like to keep as much of the vintage looks as possible, and also the sustain on this thing is insane already, as is the high end - badass bridges i find usually help with makeing a bass brighter IMO.

I'd love to put the covers on, but i'm not sure if i'll be able to play it comfortable with them on so I don't know - prob cost about £30 to get them. I need to get some straplocks too. ATM the bass looks very new, but i'm sure a month long tour in april will put an end to that and add to the vintage vibe :)