Why become a member? ×

removing spray paint

john_the_bass

ok, so it's not a bass, but I picked up a strat last night and the guy I bought it off had sprayed the name of his old band with a stencil onto the case. I am extremely inexperienced in matters relating to paint so I would like to know what would be the best stuff to get it off.

Any suggestions? He says turps would shift it, but I really don't think it will.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='82074' date='Nov 1 2007, 08:46 AM']ok, so it's not a bass, but I picked up a strat last night and the guy I bought it off had sprayed the name of his old band with a stencil onto the case. I am extremely inexperienced in matters relating to paint so I would like to know what would be the best stuff to get it off.

Any suggestions? He says turps would shift it, but I really don't think it will.[/quote]

paint it black...

is it crucial you have the case back to original condition?

if not, then just mask off a rectangle around his band logo and go for it with matt black primer...

then you can do your name in the same place instead...

If it's a moulded case odds are it's made from ABS plastic which is a sod to paint without the right stuff. Elbow grease, a nail brush & the solvent of your choice (Try the above - they won't hurt it, but stay away from cellulose/xylene type (spray) thinners as these [i]could[/i] etch the surface) should get results. If it doesn't, try the following...

Fairy Power Spray - [url="http://www.mksmc.co.uk/hintsandtips/hints.htm#Paint%20Stripper"][u][b]Write Up[/b][/u][/url] - also recommends Mr Muscle oven cleaner.
Flash Liquid - Used to work well at getting Humbrol Enamel off plastic kits, but may now be too safe to be any good.
Washing Soda - Mix the crystals up with water until no more will dissolve, pop on your best Marigolds & get scrubbing.
[url="http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/Modelstrip-productx314229.html?zenid=2q1qm61n9vj14nu5bala6g4320"][u][b]ModelStrip[/b][/u][/url]

& if none of the above work, there's always Caustic Soda (gloves & goggles compulsory).

Pete.

Try Cif (or Jif as it used to be called). I'd thin it down to 50% with water and don't rub too heavily or it will shine the surface of the case but you should be able to match it in (try it on a little area first). I've used this combo in the past on black plastic car bumpers with paint overspray with good results.

[quote name='Buzz' post='82270' date='Nov 1 2007, 02:09 PM']I'd try a bit of white spirits (or turps) on it first to see if you can lift it and then rub it off with a cloth.

I don't think it'll hurt the plastic, but don't take my word for it, test a small drop on a corner and see what happens.[/quote]

I had a bash with the surgical spirit last night and it lifted all the surface paint off, which is great and then the meths cleaned the stuff that i spread around afterwards! There is still paint there, but it's faded so I think it might either need elbow grease or something else.

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='82451' date='Nov 1 2007, 06:55 PM']paint it black...

is it crucial you have the case back to original condition?

if not, then just mask off a rectangle around his band logo and go for it with matt black primer...

then you can do your name in the same place instead...[/quote]

If I was definitely going to keep it, then no it wouldn't matter to me, but knowing how quickly I get through guitars in particular, something else will probably come along in the next 6 months or so and I'll want to sell it - I imagine that a logo on an otherwise mint case, might put a potential buyer off? I did think about spraying my own logo on there, but I've not got any further than the thought part.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='82545' date='Nov 1 2007, 10:34 PM']If it's a moulded case odds are it's made from ABS plastic which is a sod to paint without the right stuff. Elbow grease, a nail brush & the solvent of your choice (Try the above - they won't hurt it, but stay away from cellulose/xylene type (spray) thinners as these [i]could[/i] etch the surface) should get results. If it doesn't, try the following...

Fairy Power Spray - [url="http://www.mksmc.co.uk/hintsandtips/hints.htm#Paint%20Stripper"][u][b]Write Up[/b][/u][/url] - also recommends Mr Muscle oven cleaner.
Flash Liquid - Used to work well at getting Humbrol Enamel off plastic kits, but may now be too safe to be any good.
Washing Soda - Mix the crystals up with water until no more will dissolve, pop on your best Marigolds & get scrubbing.
[url="http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/Modelstrip-productx314229.html?zenid=2q1qm61n9vj14nu5bala6g4320"][u][b]ModelStrip[/b][/u][/url]

& if none of the above work, there's always Caustic Soda (gloves & goggles compulsory).

Pete.[/quote]

I'll try those I think

[quote name='martthebass' post='82938' date='Nov 2 2007, 09:01 PM']Try Cif (or Jif as it used to be called). I'd thin it down to 50% with water and don't rub too heavily or it will shine the surface of the case but you should be able to match it in (try it on a little area first). I've used this combo in the past on black plastic car bumpers with paint overspray with good results.[/quote]

And I'll try these as well if none of the above work.

I did talk to a luthier pal of mine who is currently working on a couple of my guitars. he said something along the lines of one type of paint coming off with thinners or turps, the other type (acrlylic I think) coming off with a blowtorch! Obviously that's not an option, so it may just have to stay there.