Why become a member? ×

G&L L2500 USA has anyone got one

Guest johnzgerman

Guest johnzgerman

Pretty much how the title says it - have any of you guys got or had a G&L L2500 USA and whats it like, im in the market for a new bass and i quite fancy one having played a L2500 tribute in PMT the other day. i was wondering how it compared to a stingray 5 especially......

I have, though it's an old 4+1 with no string through body rather than the newer 3+2 string through versions, and I love it. Great rock bass, but a good selection of tones,

Can't give you a comparison to a Stingray other than the modded SUB5 I had before the L2500 I have and IMO the L2500 is better with more options

I had the G&L L2500 off ET above. It was a nicely constructed bass but ultimately I let it go because of:

- didn't like the neck profile (a little thick thumb to finger)
- too many tonal options for me
- bit on the heavy side.

On the plus side it did have a fantastic core sound. It was replaced with a SR5 :)

If I were you I'd just buy the Tribute. I say that as someone who has owned G&L product manufactured in the USA, Japan and Korea. These days, it's pretty much only snobbery that has someone opting for US product, unless they have a custom option that only G&L USA can provide.

So much more flexible than an MM SR5. There'll be a little decision paralysis when you first start out playing it though, but with a little time you work out which tonal options work best for your sound.

I have an L2500, but it's fretless, so maybe not the best to compare against a 'ray
Will say this though, lots of tone options and a really good B string for a 34" scale bass

I have no experience of the tributes, but I'd look out for a second hand US L2500, they can be had for around £600 - £700!

Tony

Edited by sshorepunk

Guest johnzgerman

cool, thanks for all the replies chaps i think you've all confirmed what i already thought about these wee beasties. i shall be keeping an eye out for a 2nd hand one...