Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ernie Ball Stingray 5 and Sterling 5 questions

Musicman20

Ok, so thanks to everyone for ongoing advice.

I have whittled my Ernie Ball 5 string choice to Stingray 5 or Sterling 5. I've looked into the schematics on the site, apart from the Sterling ones that my phone won't let me view. I listened to some demos and I'm definite that the hh is too much for me. So, it's down to H or HS. I want to be able to get single coil tones as well as the classic humbucker at bridge tone, but what will I gain and lose with having HS instead of just H on both models?

Is the serial/parallel switch useful on the Stingray 5 H? Does the single coil at bridge sound better with a H or HS?!

Stingray 5 now has the same alnico pickup like my 2 Rays in my sig, which I know I will like. From what I've been told the alnico's are slightly warmer and less aggressive/hi fi, and more than classic stingray tone I love.

Sterling 5 are ceramic pickups, more bite, diff plate, smaller neck profile and body?! I'm not 100% on what the body and neck differences are. Can anyone help? Perhaps a Sterling would be a good idea for a bit of variety.

Colour is already decided! White with black or tort guard....classic vintage vibe :) Rosewood board.

Advice would be great, thanks!

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='josh3184' post='743531' date='Feb 12 2010, 09:48 PM']Sterling necks are to Stringrays what Jazzes are to Precisions essentially :)[/quote]

Don't think that applies to the 5-string versions. I was advised that the Stingray 5 and Sterling 5 necks are the same, it's just the bodies, pick-ups, etc. that are different.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='743490' date='Feb 12 2010, 08:45 PM']Does the single coil at bridge sound better with a H or HS?![/quote]

It sounds the same.

They all sound good.

Here is a link to an incredible Sterling 5HS review - with audio samples and all. Scroll down the page a bit. [url="http://www.bassemporium.com/newsletters/0908newsletter.html"]http://www.bassemporium.com/newsletters/0908newsletter.html[/url]

and here is an HH to compare it to... [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akwJz_KRlW8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akwJz_KRlW8[/url]

Edited by Duarte

I think the 3 way switch on the 5H is useful. Each of the 3 tones is distinct from the other and I use them all. The H has one setting the HS doesn't with the humbucker in series.This sound is the biggest sounding of the three settings on the single H with more mids but its also my least favourite(though not by much)

If you think you'll use the neck pickup I say go HS.

Also, bear in mind that as the Ray is wired in parallel, there may be volume differences between each pickup setting (the Sterling is consistent as it is wired in series).

I have an HS Bongo, and the single is GREAT. I solo it all the time - EBMM have done it very well.

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='745487' date='Feb 15 2010, 06:27 AM']I think the 3 way switch on the 5H is useful. Each of the 3 tones is distinct from the other and I use them all. The H has one setting the HS doesn't with the humbucker in series.This sound is the biggest sounding of the three settings on the single H with more mids but its also my least favourite(though not by much)

If you think you'll use the neck pickup I say go HS.[/quote]

Ah, right! Thanks, now I see what I have to decide on. Is the series option the least useful in you opinion on the h?

[quote name='Duarte' post='745578' date='Feb 15 2010, 09:45 AM']Also, bear in mind that as the Ray is wired in parallel, there may be volume differences between each pickup setting (the Sterling is consistent as it is wired in series).

I have an HS Bongo, and the single is GREAT. I solo it all the time - EBMM have done it very well.[/quote]

Thanks!

I was thinking that s might be quite useful for a more precision-esque type tone but with the eb balls.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='745791' date='Feb 15 2010, 01:02 PM']Ah, right! Thanks, now I see what I have to decide on. Is the series option the least useful in you opinion on the h?[/quote]

someone else may find it works the best for them depending on what tone they're after but for me it's the one I have least use for.There's nothing wrong with it at all but I get on better with the slightly scooped mids I get on the parallel setting and that tone is pretty much all I need from a Stingray. I just love the way mine plays and has such a great sound without endless twiddling on the controls.
It keeps my Bongo 5HH from getting any serious playtime which is such a waste of a fine bass,I'm now seriously thinking over whether I should look at replacing it with another SR5 with a rosewood board this time

almost forgot,another thing I really like about the electronics on the single H Stingray 5's and Sterling 4H's I've had in the past is how the output of the 3 settings are evenly matched.

Is there a shop near you where you can demo both the H and HS side by side?

Edited by dub_junkie

• 1 month later...

This is getting bumped.

After failing with a Warwick5 (I just cannot get on with the necks and fret distance) Im going back to the original and more expensive plan.

Im trusting EB with yet another bass and hoping it will be awesome.

I have three options now one of my Rays has sold. Ray 4 Classic Series, Ray 5 H, Ray 5 HS.

Hmmm!

Im trying to find some demos of the Ray 5 H vs HS.

I was thinking about the classic ray 5, but with a 5 string I'd like to have the pickup selector switch.

The Classic Ray 4 looks perfect...just need to decide on which Ray 5 and which to buy first.

I know now after looking at the eb forum the alnico ray is what I'm after.