Why become a member? ×

Effect pedal - respray

hookys6stringbass

most automotive sprays out of a can will be durable enough to take more than a few stomps, just make sure you use an appropriate primer like an etching primer so the that the top coat bonds.....the original finishes are powder coated and ideally you want to get rid of that old finish...bit of good old sanding i reckon as a stripper might not touch it :)

[quote name='chrisd24' post='743530' date='Feb 12 2010, 09:47 PM']most automotive sprays out of a can will be durable enough to take more than a few stomps, just make sure you use an appropriate primer like an etching primer so the that the top coat bonds.....the original finishes are powder coated and ideally you want to get rid of that old finish...bit of good old sanding i reckon as a stripper might not touch it :)[/quote]

thanks for that ... Re: the sanding any particular grade of sandpaper??

[quote name='hookys6stringbass' post='743946' date='Feb 13 2010, 01:13 PM']thanks for that ... Re: the sanding any particular grade of sandpaper??[/quote]

probably get the worst off with a 100 grade paper....the. a little higher to smooth things off....even some wire wool before you prime just to smooth things up......must admit i like the idea of the chroming though!

[quote name='chrisd24' post='744029' date='Feb 13 2010, 02:37 PM']probably get the worst off with a 100 grade paper....the. a little higher to smooth things off....even some wire wool before you prime just to smooth things up......must admit i like the idea of the chroming though![/quote]

Thanks for the tips.... yeah I like the idea of chroming as well.. For the moment though i'm going to just stick to spraying an maybe get some decals made up as well..

[quote name='mancunianfox' post='743987' date='Feb 13 2010, 01:56 PM']Don't do what I did last night and forget to prime the the enclosure before spraying the top coat or it will look rubbish. If you use a primer first most finishes will look ok.[/quote]

Correct primers are essential for a durable finish. [url="http://www.hammerite.com/uk/products/ps_special_metals_primer.html"]This stuff[/url] sticks to just about anything - including aluminium. The only downside to it is that it doesn't come in spray form & doesn't brush out that well. Stickier than a big stick with "Stick" written on it.

Pete.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='744365' date='Feb 13 2010, 10:36 PM']Correct primers are essential for a durable finish. [url="http://www.hammerite.com/uk/products/ps_special_metals_primer.html"]This stuff[/url] sticks to just about anything - including aluminium. The only downside to it is that it doesn't come in spray form & doesn't brush out that well. Stickier than a big stick with "Stick" written on it.

Pete.[/quote]

Good point re: the correct primers. Any suggestions on decent primers..? oh and clear coat? Might as well get it looking the best I can.

Cheers fellas