Why become a member? ×

A pair of unloaded 2x12s

dangerboy

I've ended up with a couple of unloaded VOX 2x12s. According to the spec sheet they're made of 16mm baltic ply. With a little bit of work they could make great bass cabs. There are matching tears on the top each cab (shown).

£30 each or £50 the pair. Pick up from North London.

I will ship, but you need to book the courier on a day that I can get off work, and I'll need an extra fiver to buy loads of bubble wrap for them.

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='741750' date='Feb 11 2010, 09:16 AM']how easy is it to wire a speaker cab? (I have basic soldering skills!)[/quote]

Fitting the speakers and wiring them up is very simple....harder bit is to get the right speakers and tuning the box to suit

You will want to add internal dampening, and ports to get it to work well.

For somebody looking for a cheap retro look pair of bass cabs with a little bit of work these could do the job.

Dave

[quote name='david_l_perry' post='741935' date='Feb 11 2010, 12:19 PM']Fitting the speakers and wiring them up is very simple....harder bit is to get the right speakers and tuning the box to suit

You will want to add internal dampening, and ports to get it to work well.

For somebody looking for a cheap retro look pair of bass cabs with a little bit of work these could do the job.

Dave[/quote]

So what would need to be done to put Celestion green labels (200w) in these? just as a first-speaker-that-comes-to-my-mind idea? I may be out of my depth :)

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='741967' date='Feb 11 2010, 12:39 PM']So what would need to be done to put Celestion green labels (200w) in these? just as a first-speaker-that-comes-to-my-mind idea? I may be out of my depth :)[/quote]
2 twelves would be fine for guitar, but I think for bass 2 tens would work better in here because of the cabinet volume available. You'd need to cut two "sub-baffles" to reduce the size of the speaker holes and rear mount the drivers. Very easy to do.

[quote name='stevie' post='741999' date='Feb 11 2010, 12:55 PM']2 twelves would be fine for guitar, but I think for bass 2 tens would work better in here because of the cabinet volume available. You'd need to cut two "sub-baffles" to reduce the size of the speaker holes and rear mount the drivers. Very easy to do.[/quote]

Main problem being i have no woodworking tools! (apart from a drill and maybe a hacksaw) :)

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='742010' date='Feb 11 2010, 01:00 PM']Main problem being i have no woodworking tools! (apart from a drill and maybe a hacksaw) :)[/quote]
It's just a matter of cutting two circles with a jigsaw - less than £10 at B&Q. [url="http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9806517&ecamp=trf-005&CAWELAID=266909343"]http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?acti...ELAID=266909343[/url]
And a 2 x 4 foot piece of half-inch MDF (or ply if you can get it).

Depending on the drivers you use, you might also want to cut a couple of holes in the front baffle for port tubes.

Edited by stevie