Why become a member? ×

Build your own...

LukeFRC

I think Maplin are very expensive except for enclosures which are reasonable. I get 99% of my components from either Bardwells (online shop) or BobsBitsBox (ebay shop or direct online + paypal).
the other 1% I get from taking apart electrical items at work and extracting them from their pcb's witha hot butter knife.
Banzai effects in Germany is also a good source of stomp stuff, particularly fine choice of knobs.
3pDT foot switches I get from a hong Kong ebay shop, £11.50 for 3. Never had a duff one yet and I've bought a dozen.
I get pots from BobsBitsBox - go for small as possible or you'll struyggle to get everything in an enclosure.

Edited by Al Heeley

thanks!
i think i may have just found my delay/chorus cuircit too.... I was going to just to the OD but think i may as well try putting two things in the same box... should be able to run two things off one transformer yeah? i wasnt going to bother with batteries.

I say this all now and confidently but knowing there is a massive learning curve ahead!

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='741445' date='Feb 10 2010, 08:52 PM']jeez - delays and chorus effects are a huge step up from an overdrive and a compresser. I've never been brave enough to attempt anything that complex - you need the ability to make a very accurate good quality pcb or you'll spend hours trying to get it to work.[/quote]

Agreed. I thought it would be a lot easier than I found it. A modulation effect would give me nightmares. Not that its impossible but you might want to start small and find out how you get on with it first. I actually planned to make that fliptop from runoffgroove two years ago before I made my first circuit. Two years later and I still haven't even attempted anything more complicated than a tubescreamer.

yes I am as daft as.
my general approach to life has been start doing stuff I don't know how to do and learn quickly.
Within a month of trying to teach myself bass my flatmate's asking "why don't you start with something simpler than chilis?"
I'm fairly adept with things so not to afraid of this. Plus whats the worst I can do? * however I'm not totally daft and will take shortcuts for the hardbits like PCBs.
I will be sticking up photos on here as I go, I'm going to make the easy bit work first, no longer the flipster but a nice looking thing similar....Not saying what until I manage the first few stages.....

* Blown up amp, trip mains fuse in local substation, small fire in the house, loose my hands and can never play bass again.

great - that's spot on for attitude, jump in and do it, learn as you go on and never gewt put off by miserable buggers who say its too difficult - thats the best way to learn about stuff, only in my experience trying to debug a complex pedal that has taken up the last week of your life can be soul-destroying! You only learn from your mistakes though.

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='737897' date='Feb 7 2010, 10:19 AM']Go here:
www.beavisaudio.com
Read everything
Get this:
[url="http://www.beavisaudio.com/bboard/index.htm"]http://www.beavisaudio.com/bboard/index.htm[/url][/quote]

i've also been looking at starting building some very basic pedals (fuzzes mostly) - and came across this site a while ago.

Have you bought the beavis board yourself - is it as good (albeit a bit expensive) an idea as it seems from looking at the beavis website??

[quote name='GazWills' post='741808' date='Feb 11 2010, 10:48 AM']i've also been looking at starting building some very basic pedals (fuzzes mostly) - and came across this site a while ago.

Have you bought the beavis board yourself - is it as good (albeit a bit expensive) an idea as it seems from looking at the beavis website??[/quote]

I looked at it and though it would be more fun just to go for it.
my problem is i think i may have picked a wee bit of an ambitious project....

Right. the first big package of stuff has been dispatched... a few more to come...

I think I will start a thread on the build diaries section to see how it's getting on. It's a pretty exciting build....

Oh and if anyone has a 2m resistor I can have..... :)

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='739465' date='Feb 8 2010, 10:00 PM']see ive played with compressors a wee bit, I'll be honest and say I've never seen a use for them for me.
this may be due to the random way I use my right hand but ive never seen what they add to my sound, often when using them i get annoyed with something changing the way the notes open out. maybe i'm talking rubbish here
feel free to educate me what use they should have![/quote]

I agree too. Using a compressor, to me, just seems to take control away from your fingers.