Why become a member? ×

FT STINGRAY 30th ANNIVERSARY

martthebass

Can't believe I'm doing this but needs must.

I only just got this from Jimmy Elliott in a trade. It's the nicest sounding Stingray I've ever played, the mahogany body and through body stringing seem to smooth out the sound somehow but still enable you to get down and dirty should you wish it. It's pretty close to mint, if I'm really picky (and those who've dealt with me in the past will know how anal I am about bass condition) the 5 ply scratch plate could do with a buff has it has a few swirlies, the machines could do with a polish and there's a bit of NiO deposit on the pole pieces. None of these would take more than an hours 'cleaning' to enable perfection to be restored.

The C&G vintage 30th Anni case is also in pretty good nick with just a couple of small marks.

So why am I thinking of parting with it. Well, it's not the lightest bass I've ever played, it comes in a shade under 10lbs and despite my love for it after an hour it's killing my old neck injury. I've just got to face up to the fact that I need to stick with well balanced basses less than 9lb in weight (in comparison my Overwater and Status feel like toys).

So ideally as a trade I'd be looking for something <9lbs, in the same condition as the Ray, 4 strings, fretted and of a similar value. Something Jazz shaped and a bit special (Sad Metro, Lakky, WHY) would be great but I wouldn't rule out something with graphite. Hit me with some options the worst I can do is respond in the negative. Some pics below - sorry about the quality, flash and 'unnatural' light don't mix (waiting for the nice Lumix G1 to turn up!):

Edited by martthebass

[quote name='martthebass' post='734424' date='Feb 3 2010, 07:55 PM']Can't believe I'm doing this but needs must.

I only just got this from Jimmy Elliott in a trade. It's the nicest sounding Stingray I've ever played, the mahogany body and through body stringing seem to smooth out the sound somehow but still enable you to get down and dirty should you wish it. It's pretty close to mint, if I'm really picky (and those who've dealt with me in the past will know how anal I am about bass condition) the 5 ply scratch plate could do with a buff has it has a few swirlies, the machines could do with a polish and there's a bit of NiO deposit on the pole pieces. None of these would take more than an hours 'cleaning' to enable perfection to be restored.

The C&G vintage 30th Anni case is also in pretty good nick with just a couple of small marks.

So why am I thinking of parting with it. Well, it's not the lightest bass I've ever played, it comes in a shade under 10lbs and despite my love for it after an hour it's killing my old neck injury. I've just got to face up to the fact that I need to stick with well balanced basses less than 9lb in weight (in comparison my Overwater and Status feel like toys).

So ideally as a trade I'd be looking for something <9lbs, in the same condition as the Ray, 4 strings, fretted and of a similar value. Something Jazz shaped and a bit special (Sad Metro, Lakky, WHY) would be great but I wouldn't rule out something with graphite. Hit me with some options the worst I can do is respond in the negative. If there's interest I'll post some pics but it looks 'exactly' like this:[/quote]

How much were you hoping to get for this?

[quote name='martthebass' post='734424' date='Feb 3 2010, 07:55 PM']Can't believe I'm doing this but needs must.

So ideally as a trade I'd be looking for something <9lbs, in the same condition as the Ray, 4 strings, fretted and of a similar value. Something Jazz shaped and a bit special (Sad Metro, Lakky, WHY) would be great but I wouldn't rule out something with graphite. Hit me with some options the worst I can do is respond in the negative. If there's interest I'll post some pics but it looks 'exactly' like this:[/quote]

sorry i'm an idiot, trade only my bad

Hi mate,
I have a mint condition 2006 usa jazz, sunburst/rosewood with black scratchplate.
It has a silver anniversary inset on the back of the headstock.
It has a black Fender case.
It plays brilliantly, just put rotosounds 45's on it, its just not me, you know, I've been looking for a stingray and would do a straight swap.
Cheers
Lloyd

Edited by lloyd

[quote name='lloyd' post='734487' date='Feb 3 2010, 08:59 PM']Hi mate,
I have a mint condition 2006 usa jazz, sunburst/rosewood with black scratchplate.
It has a silver anniversary inset on the back of the headstock.
It has a black Fender case.
It plays brilliantly, just put rotosounds 45's on it, its just not me, you know, I've been looking for a stingray and would do a straight swap.
Cheers
Lloyd[/quote]

Thanks for the offer L, but I've sort of been down that road before. Stock Fenders have never really done it for me.

Cheers, Mart

[quote name='Duarte' post='734524' date='Feb 3 2010, 09:31 PM']Maybe an almost mint Bongo HS?[/quote]

That's tempting D, I'm one of those who (strangely) likes the looks of the Bongo but finds all the sound options too damn confusing - 3 band EQ's are about as complex as I get. Thanks for the offer tho.

[quote name='martthebass' post='734772' date='Feb 4 2010, 09:18 AM']PM's replied to. Still available at this point - still searching for the elusive lightweight superJazz.[/quote]

The Bongo is lighweight, and with the HS configuration is pretty much as Superjazzy as you can get...

heheh

Edited by Duarte

Cheers TB.

If this was a pound lighter It would be a definite keeper. It's quite possibly the best constructed bass I've ever played (including Status - sorry Rich).

TBH I won't be too upset if it stays around for a while, I've not got too many gigs coming up - I'll have to buy a Stool and do a bit of sit-down work :)

Just given this a good clean and polish to bring of up to carnuba freshness. Having spent the morning surveying all the basses in my local musical instrument emporium I can honestly say I didn't find any of their new basses in any better condition than this.

I know what you mean about the weight, Mart - I played mine for half of a band call today & it's very hefty on the strap. Lovely rich & soulful sound with plenty of "snarl", but bloody heavy. Did the rest on my 5-string bolt on S2. I think it's going to be a Streamline week for me, too. I need the LED's as we're on our feet on stage and they're a lot of blackouts!

Best of luck with the sale, mate.

Rich.

Cheers Rich.

I think the main problem is that I've been spoilt by the Streamline, all basses should be so comfortable!
The sound of this Ray is something else tho, it has that depth and smoothness that the Status (try as it might) can't really reach, as I've said above it's unfortunately about a pound too heavy to be comfortable for a short-ass like me on a 2 hour set.

The way things are at the moment tho Rich I think it's probably going to stay with me for a while. Having spent an hour in Electro yesterday I couldn't find anything (up to £1000) that I would want to replace this with, the only thing that came close was a Sandberg Cali JJ but even that had the worst setup I've ever seen on a Sandy.

PS - showoff with the LEDs, blackouts - pah, any excuse :)

Edited by martthebass

[quote name='martthebass' post='738869' date='Feb 8 2010, 12:47 PM']the only thing that came close was a Sandberg Cali JJ but even that had the worst setup I've ever seen on a Sandy.[/quote]

I had a go on that Sandberg a while back, and you are right about the set up. If you want a real laugh, try playing they black Burns Bison in there.....It has issues! :) :rolleyes:

Have a bump on me :lol:

Since found out that Mart is allergic to Mahogany so this crimson terror is still available for trade. To narrow things down a bit looking at excellent condition:

Lakky Skyline JO4/DJ4 - some cash adjustment here (negotiable)

Sandberg Cali JJ/JM - ditto

Sadowsky Metro J type

Shuker J Type

Overwater J Type

Nothing over 8.5lbs tho......