Why become a member? ×

Westone Thunder 1A - Sold

Mr. Foxen

Still a bit unemployed, and if I'm honest, this one doesn't do anythind my other P copies don't cover except look cooler and be older.

Early 80s Japanese active bass guitar. Maple and walnut center with ash winds, three piece maple neck. Upgraded with Schaller M4 tuners. Has an aggressive Precision bass type sound, with series/parallel option and a bass/treble boost circuit that can be switched in and out.

A classic instrument and has become a collectors/nostalgia piece.

This one is in good condition except that at some point the Westone logo has been removed (fairly cleanly), and there is a little fret wear visible (nothing you can feel whilst playing. Fairly new Rotosound steel strings on it, still bright and bitey.

Welcome to come give it a try if you are near Bristol.

Pics to come when I figure this camera.

Edited by Mr. Foxen

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='736533' date='Feb 5 2010, 06:46 PM']So many views, disappointed by lack of pics? Heres some, not great ones:

Trying to catch the tuners there, proper nice Schallers, feel really smooth and positive.[/quote]

Should'nt there be Gotohs on here as standard?

[quote name='zephead' post='736707' date='Feb 5 2010, 09:57 PM']Should'nt there be Gotohs on here as standard?[/quote]

Westone branded, probably made by Gotoh (think they made the pickups that are Dimarzio copies too). As mentioned, this has been upgraded prior to my ownership. I do have a set of the Westone ones from a 'project' Thunder, But I decided sticking them on would be a lot of effort for a downgrade, as the holes have been filled.

Well, you [i]might've[/i] been able to sell the Schallers to me, if you weren't too greedy - been looking out for a set for my black hardware Rick copy.

Anyway - nice looking Thunder, if that's a 3 a the start of the SN that makes it '83. Looks very tidy for its age & not a bad price.

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='736895' date='Feb 6 2010, 01:39 AM']Well, you [i]might've[/i] been able to sell the Schallers to me, if you weren't too greedy - been looking out for a set for my black hardware Rick copy.

Anyway - nice looking Thunder, if that's a 3 a the start of the SN that makes it '83. Looks very tidy for its age & not a bad price.

Jon.[/quote]

Just had a closer look with an eye to swapping these for a set of originals, and notice the Schallers must have been put on the wrong way round, then corrected, as there is extra filled holes.

Anyway, buy this now if you want the nicer tuners, otherwise I'll whip them off for cashflow purposes.Or message if you want the Westone branded jobs put on it, that would be ideal.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...