Why become a member? ×

Changing sounds live

supabock

Guys,
Just a thought, but do you guys play a gig with a specific tone dialled into your bass and then for example do some slap inserts of slap improves/motifs during a track. If you do, how do you work between the tone you have on the bass and a good slap sound without having to stop and dial in a whole new sound on the bass.
I find that with my Wal's the playing tone is great but when I put a few subtle slaps in there, I loose the bottom end and the tone can be really harsh.....I have a GT6B and was also wondering if anyone has any dialled in patch settings I could quickly use? Is this the way to go??

Steve

I know a few guys who use a bit of compression to balance out the slap tone.

I use a booster pedal. I sometimes use a little one made by Silentfly and other times i use the Eq switch in my MXR M80, that has a level and 3 band eq

Before i got those i used the Shape switch on my old Hartke pedal.

All of those 3 pedals did the job. I notice Silentfly does a clean boost pedal now, looks like a good design, maybe have a look at that?

[quote name='supabock' post='731521' date='Feb 1 2010, 11:58 AM']Guys,
Just a thought, but do you guys play a gig with a specific tone dialled into your bass and then for example do some slap inserts of slap improves/motifs during a track. If you do, how do you work between the tone you have on the bass and a good slap sound without having to stop and dial in a whole new sound on the bass.
I find that with my Wal's the playing tone is great but when I put a few subtle slaps in there, I loose the bottom end and the tone can be really harsh.....I have a GT6B and was also wondering if anyone has any dialled in patch settings I could quickly use? Is this the way to go??

Steve[/quote]

Its tricky this isnt it!

Personally I try and get a sound that can work for both, I'm luck y though, as I dont particularly favour a very mid-scooped slap tone, preferring more mids than most. Also a really well set up high quality compressor can help you here too. I find I like a fingerstyle tone thats pretty much bridge pickup, fingers over the bridge pup and add bass to taste. If I then need a killer slap tone I can get it by just rolling the pup blend toward the middle. If I'm playing a track with the odd pop or slap accent I tend to roll the pup blend halfway back toward the middle (so still a lot of bridge pup in there) and maybe back the bass off a bit.

Its a juggling act, and if I'm careful I find it just needs the right generic tone at the get go, generally I try and do as much tone shaping as possible with my fingerstyle plucking position to keep things balanced.

The other thing is the potential volume difference, I pluck quite lightly as long as I can hear myself, so I have to be careful not to over do it when I'm slapping, but that is really just a technique and listening thing. I like to set up the comp so I can just hear its there when I'm slapping, but not when I'm playing fingerstyle. Its a hell of a trick when you get it just so, and sounds superb switching from one to the other then.