Why become a member? ×

My attempt of - You Can't Hold No Groove Bass Solo

Pugz

Hey, I'm a newcomer here.

Thought I'd start off here with a video to introduce myself. Here I am about a month or 2 ago playing Victor Wooten's - You can't hold no groove.

[url="http://youtube.com/watch?v=gsG5wiWit7g"]http://youtube.com/watch?v=gsG5wiWit7g[/url]

See what you think.

Comments much appreciated :)

[quote name='craigjf1969' post='80420' date='Oct 28 2007, 02:00 PM']Excellent,how do you(and other people)learn these parts,did you practice for hours rewinding the clip or maybe slow it down using a bass trainer[/quote]

I went about learning this piece in stages. I guess the first thing you should probably do is get the score for it. I bought Victor Wooten's tab book, which is tabbed by the man himself afaik so its very accurate.

Then it was a matter of learning the basic tab not 100% accurately just enough to get the jist of what was going on and then I listened to the song and try to reproduce it. I find that its a good idea not to be too worried about getting things perfect with almost any victor wooten song because his technique is so immaculate that even if you do more or less manage to play exactly what he's doing the chances are when you listen to him play it, it will still sound better on his version :huh: My approach is to just play it in my own style and not get frustrated if it's not EXACTLY the same.

Take the song piece by piece and get the main chunks done first. Don't worry about the fills and stuff until you have the main parts down. I first learned the song a while ago now but I kept improving it over time up till what it is now. The middle 8 part was the toughest part for me to crack, I think it is for most people. I still haven't got the rhythm exactly right but hey, like I said, it doesn't really matter :)

Hey Pugz - good job - I see you've discovered and mastered the joys of double-plucking - as opposed to double thumbing - you demonstarted how it can make things sound more complex but is actually easier to execute than double thumbing and actually (especially live) jumps out more. I also liked the way you do the tricky counterpoit part - I've learnt this tune in the past and I could play all the right notes on that bit as Vic always hammers the bass line below the 'tremelo' part on top my hand ended up hurting because of the stretches - your soluiton worked great.

Anyway - well done and I'm sure if you keep at it you are going to turn into a truly great bassist by the time you are as old and cynical as me - you're already kicking some serious butt! Keep at it...

Cheers

Mike

[quote name='urb' post='82079' date='Nov 1 2007, 08:56 AM']Hey Pugz - good job - I see you've discovered and mastered the joys of double-plucking - as opposed to double thumbing - you demonstarted how it can make things sound more complex but is actually easier to execute than double thumbing and actually (especially live) jumps out more. I also liked the way you do the tricky counterpoit part - I've learnt this tune in the past and I could play all the right notes on that bit as Vic always hammers the bass line below the 'tremelo' part on top my hand ended up hurting because of the stretches - your soluiton worked great.

Anyway - well done and I'm sure if you keep at it you are going to turn into a truly great bassist by the time you are as old and cynical as me - you're already kicking some serious butt! Keep at it...

Cheers

Mike[/quote]

Thanks very much :) I want to play music as a career and I am doing a music course in college. Yep many teenagers dream I guess and it's a business that very few become successful in regardless of playing ability. But learning to perform and after 3 years of playing and gigging experience I feel I've finally found some direction which I know I want to go in.

The double plucking technique its an excellent technique to really gain some slap speed with little effort. Learning that technique has really opened up lots of possibilities for me within my playing, it's used in me and my bass guitar too and a lot of other wooten stuff. The rhythm on that double plucked part is really odd. If you listen to the timing and count along with it, it seems to go out after the first beat and come back in time on the fourth beat. Actually after just listening to it myself I noticed my timings a little bit off. Slightly rushed :huh: I saw a demonstration of how Wooten plays this part. He cuts the two parts up individually. The bass notes are hammered and the melody line is actually not just double plucked but played: strum down, pluck, pluck. I swear that guy is just an endless source of new techniques and ideas. I really can't imagine how anyone could advance technique as far as Victor Wooten has.

As for double thumbing, I'm still working on it. My slap technique isn't the best for incorporating double thumbing stuff because of the way i position my hand so transitioning from the two techniques is tricky. At the moment i've been working on the combination of double thumbing and double popping, so Thump down, thumb up, pop 1 , pop 2. :huh: Thats some real tricky stuff especially when doing all hits on the same string. Trying to get it up to speed, consistent and clear.

go to www.basplayer.tv and check out the 'Artist Features' and look at the whole lot of Bobby Vega stuff - this guy is sensational and dare I say it even more funky than Vic with the double thumping - he replaced Larry Graham in Sly And The family Stone so he must be good right!? Anyway DT-ing is quite an old technique now but check out the way Bobby uses it to get that really greasy funk vibe going - not for lots of triple time fast stuff - he just grooves like a monster and throws in some really tasty chords and incredible syncopations.

My only advice as someone who got possibly a little-too into the whole Vic thing (I have his book of tune but I couldn't be bothered to learn them!) is just to say don't get too obsessed with these techniques at the expense of developing ear training, harmony knowledge, timing etc etc - these are fantastic 'tools' to have in the bag and really open up the possibilities oof the bass as a solo instrument - but playing great with two fingers, with great timing and harmonic taste will get you way, way more work!

Keep it up you are doing incredibly well. And to see me at my most excessive DT stage (this was made about 2 years ago) here's a clip oof me too: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dSLrM_1Ico"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dSLrM_1Ico[/url] - yes I have a spazz face...:)

M

Ahhh, that's not fair. That tune's bugging me now, I've got to learn it. My slapping's getting better but I'm still way off the double-thumbing trick.

Going to drive the wife / kids / neighbours / spiders / guinea pigs and any visiting relations bonkers nailing this one :wacko:

Hamster