Why become a member? ×

ampeg 8x10 plans/drawings

nash

No plans for you, but the dimensions are W26 x H48 x D16. The slanted bits at the back are 12" from the front and are 5.75" long. 3/4" ply is used. You should be able to draw up your own plans from that.

I took the dimensions from a friends cab when I was half considering building one, but I didn't get round to opening it up to measure the distance between the internal partitions, though I'd imagine that they equally divided the cab. It's equally possible that the top and bottom partitions were slightly wider spaced so that each compartment had identical internal volumes.

[quote name='Musky' post='7972' date='May 28 2007, 10:16 AM']Chipboard?

No idea what they're made of nowadays, but I've seen enough battered old ones to know that they were definitely ply. Maybe just the rear baffle is chipboard, which is a practice that Marshall uses.[/quote]

true about the marshall as i have one. i also think thats correct about the ampeg.

i'd just go for all ply.

[quote name='nash' post='7989' date='May 28 2007, 10:56 AM']i'd just go for all ply.[/quote]

I would look in to the relative weights of different ply, too. IIRC spruce ply is lighter than birch. You could consider adding some internal bracing to stiffen things up if you're worried about lightweight ply flapping around a bit.

[quote name='nash' post='7989' date='May 28 2007, 10:56 AM']true about the marshall as i have one. i also think thats correct about the ampeg.

i'd just go for all ply.[/quote]

Hi Nash,

Blimey, you're a braver man than me. Not sure I'd want to go to the expense and hassle of making one when I could probably pick a used one up reasonable cheaply.

The reason I say this is that having owned and recently got rid of my Ampeg 810E, I'm sure that it'd probably be much easier to simply buy a decent used one for well under the £500 mark if you fish around ebay or keep your eyes on the classifieds. From experience, they're the type of cabs that are always available. People like me tend to love the sound but sooner or later get too tired of dragging them single handed out the car in the rain at 2am after a long drive back from a gig. lol

For a rough guide cost, I sold mine for about £420 and it was in great condition.

Cheers
Tony

Its true. I have seen a chipboard ampeg 8x10. The sides were definately chip because the covering had worn away and you could see. I think it was a older one, quite a lot of famous cabs used all chipboard in the 70s and 80s. The 8x10s are good but vastly overrated. The only reason they sound so good is because they are usually driven by a SVT. A couple of half decent P.A cabs would out do it but would look carp of course.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Dan_Nailed' post='15300' date='Jun 10 2007, 10:12 PM']My SVT810E is solid ply. I know because I had to glue the Tolex back onto it after scraping it off on a door frame![/quote]

i bought an ampeg 6x10... after a while i too discovered mine was made of chipboard, and i was pretty furious, since it was sold me to me as a solid ply cabinet.

[quote name='Dan_Nailed' post='15307' date='Jun 10 2007, 10:25 PM']Well I'm not furious because mine is solid ply! It's a late 2005 model.[/quote]

Mine was purchased early 2005. I don't know how long it had been in warehouse before that though...

Still sounds good, I just feel it hasn't the durability.