Why become a member? ×

Sheilded lead

Mog

'sup all. I had to buy a new lead today, the first I had to buy in about 10 years. At one end,near the jack it says "shielded end". I always presumed leads were shielded throughout? So anyways, into which am I supposed to plug this jack. Bass or amp? :)

I actually have a lead which says the same, is yours made by Planet Waves too?

I never really pay attention to which end goes where, but I *think* the shielded end is for your guitar, and the other for the amp.

Could be (and am probably) wrong though :)

[quote name='acidbass' post='727194' date='Jan 28 2010, 01:26 AM']I actually have a lead which says the same, is yours made by Planet Waves too?

I never really pay attention to which end goes where, but I *think* the shielded end is for your guitar, and the other for the amp.

Could be (and am probably) wrong though :rolleyes:[/quote]

Nope :)

From the Planet Waves Website FAQ..........

Will plugging in one of your directional cables the wrong way harm equipment?

No. While the ideal configuration for optimum shielding is achieved when the shielded end of the cable is connected to the amplifier, you will not harm your guitar, amplifier, or other equipment by running the cable the wrong way.

[quote name='Doddy' post='727205' date='Jan 28 2010, 01:56 AM']Nope :)

From the Planet Waves Website FAQ..........

Will plugging in one of your directional cables the wrong way harm equipment?

No. While the ideal configuration for optimum shielding is achieved when the shielded end of the cable is connected to the amplifier, you will not harm your guitar, amplifier, or other equipment by running the cable the wrong way.[/quote]

Ahh very good, nice to know for future reference.

Danny

Cheers guys. Yep Danny, its a Planet waves. I use their leads always. When they first came out they had little icons on each jack (guitar and speaker), which had something to do with compression???? All my leads are still working,10 odd years later!, I just needed a longer one for larger stages. Ringing endorsement for Planet Waves right there.

What's the reasoning behind a guitar cable only being shielded at one end?

I could, sort of, understand it if the cable was connecting two bits of separately-earthed equipment, but since a guitar is not separately earthed what's the point in not screening the cable at both ends?

I assume it's some sort of noise-control thing, but I'm pretty sure all my cables are shielded both ends and I've never had noise problems.

[quote name='Mog' post='728245' date='Jan 28 2010, 11:17 PM']All my leads are still working,10 odd years later!, I just needed a longer one for larger stages. Ringing endorsement for Planet Waves right there.[/quote]

That's good I had 3 Planet Waves cables and they all broke within a year.

Yeah. I originally had 2 of them and when the 1st one stopped working I took it
back to the shop and swapped it,but that one didn't last very long before it started going
wrong.It's not like I abuse my cables either. After that I didn't trust them anymore,
that's when I started to buy Spectraflex cables,and I've never had any trouble since.