Why become a member? ×

Gibson Grabber tuning issues

cocco

Hi guys. Do we have any grabber players/owners amoung us apart from me? I'm having massive tuning issues with mine. Seems it will only stay in tune in a practice room. One hint of an audience and it comes over all wobbly. I know grabbers are prone to this but does anyone have a quick fix? Any fix at all would do. Before you ask yes it has been set up recently.

Mine is a G-1 sliding pickup version. Tuners are good strings are good too. I think its the bridge if its anything. No one seems to make a direct replacement bridge for it though. I dont fancy drilling holes in it if it can be helped.

[quote name='cocco' post='725217' date='Jan 26 2010, 02:34 PM']Mine is a G-1 sliding pickup version. Tuners are good strings are good too. I think its the bridge if its anything. No one seems to make a direct replacement bridge for it though. I dont fancy drilling holes in it if it can be helped.[/quote]

You tried tightening the poziscrew in the middle of the cog? Sometimes this is all that is required, I've done it to mine and it makes a difference. I think it's more likely to be this end of the neck than your bridge........ :)

[quote name='cocco' post='725217' date='Jan 26 2010, 02:34 PM']Mine is a G-1 sliding pickup version. Tuners are good strings are good too. I think its the bridge if its anything. No one seems to make a direct replacement bridge for it though. I dont fancy drilling holes in it if it can be helped.[/quote]

If you do go down the bridge replacement route, let me know as I'd take the original off your hands - a couple of the grub screws in mine are broken and have to be turned by pliers - not ideal! Also if you do find somewhere to obtain a bridge or the parts thereof, let me know.

[quote name='neepheid' post='725255' date='Jan 26 2010, 03:06 PM']If you do go down the bridge replacement route, let me know as I'd take the original off your hands - a couple of the grub screws in mine are broken and have to be turned by pliers - not ideal! Also if you do find somewhere to obtain a bridge or the parts thereof, let me know.[/quote]

I bet they're in a better state than mine are man. I wouldnt wish them upon anyone :)

[quote name='cocco' post='724980' date='Jan 26 2010, 11:52 AM']I know grabbers are prone to this[/quote]

I'd question this....

The Grabber had the same tuning keys as other Gibson basses at the time. Good quality Schallers (typically [url="http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/parts/tuning_key/#2"]Schaller BM[/url]), and I can't see how the bridge would be the problem if it is still and stable. I never had problems with my Grabbers or G3s, all of which had the same tuner/bridge configuration.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I don't wish to seem patronising, but has the bass been strung correctly? There is a right and wrong way, and if you do it wrong, you'll get tuning problems.

Too often people blam their guitar/bass when it is old/damaged strings or new strings put on wrong.

Please accept my apology if you knew this and have put them on correctly!

I've strung it the same way my other basses are strung and none of them cause me problems. Having it set up professionally at some cost didn't solve the problem either :s. What could have been done wrong in the stringing process?