Why become a member? ×

Vintage MIJ (formerly J@pCr@p) Spotting

Bassassin

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='979974' date='Oct 6 2010, 10:18 PM']TSB500 Bass. Matsumoku goodness. [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MIJ-MATSUMOKU-TSB-500-BASS-/110595437822?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item19c00074fe"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MIJ-MATSUMOKU-TSB-50...=item19c00074fe[/url][/quote]

Guessing that he played a TSB will be news to Taylor.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='980822' date='Oct 7 2010, 06:43 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Truely-Hideous-Lump-Wood-Maya-/270645589608?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3f03bbf668"]Sorry guys, this is a six string, but when I saw the listing my drink went down the wrong way.[/url][/quote]
That has been in the wars. Tuners (not original, look nice) body & pups (if they work) are probably worth salvaging if it stays under £20. Which it probably won't.

J.

[quote name='tino' post='983261' date='Oct 10 2010, 12:40 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180572516527&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...=STRK:MESELX:IT[/url]

Now that could be sexy :)[/quote]
Could be if it had a neck!

Tino - those Maxons ain't humbuckers - I've stripped one & they're singles with 2 rows of poles:

[attachment=61018:pupsurround.jpg] [attachment=61017:pupcoveroff.jpg] [attachment=61019:pupexploded.jpg]

J.

[quote name='noelk27' post='983208' date='Oct 10 2010, 11:46 AM']They don't call it JapCrap without reason. The bridge, though, is good clue to its origin.[/quote]
The bridge is identical to the one fitted to my Cimar XR2065:

[attachment=61025:bridge.jpg]

All the evidence points to the original(ish) design Cimars being Fujigen-made, but no idea where hardware was sourced from. The Shiro's almost certainly not a Fujigen & definitely not a Mat - what were you thinking?

Have to say if that was mine, I'd have to do something about the bridge angle - it would annoy me every time I looked at it!

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='983893' date='Oct 10 2010, 10:44 PM']Could be if it had a neck!

Tino - those Maxons ain't humbuckers - I've stripped one & they're singles with 2 rows of poles:

[attachment=61018:pupsurround.jpg] [attachment=61017:pupcoveroff.jpg] [attachment=61019:pupexploded.jpg]

J.[/quote]

any advantage to this? do you just end up with an extremely hot, dark pup?

[quote name='umph' post='983932' date='Oct 10 2010, 11:12 PM']any advantage to this? do you just end up with an extremely hot, dark pup?[/quote]

The one I have is certainly cooking for a single-coil - it reads about 10.7k, if memory serves. This ended up in a Rick copy and actually sounds really authentic, especially with the cap bypass mod & paired with a real Rick hi-gain in the neck.

I have a feeling these were originally designed to go in EB-3 copies, they appear paired with single-coil mudbucker lookalikes in these, & a good few other basses - including Fujigen-built through-neck Rick copies, and the original Ibanez Artist bass.

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='983921' date='Oct 10 2010, 11:02 PM']The bridge is identical to the one fitted to my Cimar XR2065 ... All the evidence points to the original(ish) design Cimars being Fujigen-made ... The Shiro's almost certainly not a Fujigen & definitely not a Mat - what were you thinking?[/quote]

Nagano ... Shizuoka ... Aichi ... So many prefectures to stick your pin, in Chubu.

[quote name='noelk27' post='983011' date='Oct 10 2010, 02:03 AM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shiro-Aria-Bass-80s-Japan-/220678047984?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item33616fc8f0#ht_18738wt_1068"]Geography test for JapCrap fans[/url][/quote]

I wish all ebay listings had such detailed photos.

PS: Aichi prefecture is where I lived.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='984408' date='Oct 11 2010, 01:37 PM']If I guess the language correctly, apart from Annyon hase yo, which I can't even spell in roman letters, nothing.[/quote]

Welcome to my word! And given that the other half is mixed race, there's also, Nagsasalita ba kayo ng Tagalog?

[quote name='noelk27' post='984412' date='Oct 11 2010, 01:42 PM']Welcome to my word! And given that the other half is mixed race, there's also, Nagsasalita ba kayo ng Tagalog?[/quote]

I only know some slightly naughty Tagalog. When I was learning Japanese, it seemed like every few words or so the Filipino students in the class would suddenly giggle as we were taught the noun form of the very "to listen", which is "kiki".

[quote name='tino' post='983261' date='Oct 10 2010, 12:40 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180572516527&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...=STRK:MESELX:IT[/url]

Now that could be sexy :)[/quote]

Sure does look a lot like this..

Which is my old 73 Eros. Only one I ever saw with these pups, which aint humbuckers, but they have a lovely deep growl. Bit microphonic, but I filled em with hot wax years ago, and that more or less eliminated it.

Often thought they looked more Gibson-ish though, same with the machine heads. Anyone know if there is/was any connection between Eros and MIJ Matsumoko ?

[attachment=61062:b.jpg] [attachment=61067:c.jpg] [attachment=61065:d.jpg] [attachment=61069:e.jpg]

[quote name='Slipperydick' post='984540' date='Oct 11 2010, 04:03 PM']Sure does look a lot like this..

Which is my old 73 Eros. Only one I ever saw with these pups, which aint humbuckers, but they have a lovely deep growl. Bit microphonic, but I filled em with hot wax years ago, and that more or less eliminated it.

Often thought they looked more Gibson-ish though, same with the machine heads. Anyone know if there is/was any connection between Eros and MIJ Matsumoko ?

[attachment=61062:b.jpg] [attachment=61067:c.jpg] [attachment=61065:d.jpg] [attachment=61069:e.jpg][/quote]
Yours is the same bass as Tino's. When he got it, the silhouette of the Eros badge was clearly visible on the headstock.

Anyway - Eros. First of all there's no connection to the Italian E-Ros brand (whatever the Ebay "experts" might say), Eros & Eros Mk II were names used by UK distributor Rosetti, and some of their guitars were indeed from Matsumoku - including this Jazz. They also sourced from Fujigen (I had an Eros Tele identical to the equivalent Ibanez) and later ones - particularly the garish LP copies - were Korean & not very good. The MIJ ones however are typically good quality.

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='984582' date='Oct 11 2010, 04:41 PM']Yours is the same bass as Tino's. When he got it, the silhouette of the Eros badge was clearly visible on the headstock.

Anyway - Eros. First of all there's no connection to the Italian E-Ros brand (whatever the Ebay "experts" might say), Eros & Eros Mk II were names used by UK distributor Rosetti, and some of their guitars were indeed from Matsumoku - including this Jazz. They also sourced from Fujigen (I had an Eros Tele identical to the equivalent Ibanez) and later ones - particularly the garish LP copies - were Korean & not very good. The MIJ ones however are typically good quality.

J.[/quote]
Jon
I have to agree the body quality is in fact very good I had just started preppping it for a refinish when the 71 Fender came along,I dont think the pups are all that but if it goes to a BCer and they let me know I will chuck in a set of pups that will fit that I bought recently for it...everythings there apart from the neck...every last screw..
I also need MONEY as I just bought a 79 Gibson Custom and a Fender Twin reverb and I forgot to consult MrsT.....again.. :)

[quote name='Bassassin' post='983893' date='Oct 10 2010, 10:44 PM']Could be if it had a neck!

J.[/quote]
Please dont shoot me ....honest mistake. :)

[quote name='tino' post='984846' date='Oct 11 2010, 08:21 PM']Jon
[b]I have to agree the body quality is in fact very good [/b]I had just started preppping it for a refinish when the 71 Fender came along,I dont think the pups are all that but if it goes to a BCer and they let me know I will chuck in a set of pups that will fit that I bought recently for it...everythings there apart from the neck...every last screw..
I also need MONEY as I just bought a 79 Gibson Custom and a Fender Twin reverb and I forgot to consult MrsT.....again.. :)[/quote]

What wood is it-any idea ? Very heavy thats fer sure !

[quote name='Slipperydick' post='984921' date='Oct 11 2010, 09:16 PM']What wood is it-any idea ? Very heavy thats fer sure ![/quote]
Suprisingly not!!!
I will take it in to work and weigh it,possibly a few ounces more than a 70s fender I am holding next to it