Why become a member? ×

Ashdown VU Bar failure?

Hey I have my Ashdown EVO II 500 watt head and as far as I'm aware the thing might as well be bullet proof these are very solid amps indeed!

BUT (there's never usually a 'but' with Ashdown gear) The VU meter has stopped working completely, no matter how much I crank it I get NO movement.

Any ideas why? It still makes all the sounds it did before its just randomly not moving the VU bar, the backlight for that area still lights up though.

Cheers

Cai

They made me pay £18 for a new tweeter for a cab that blew just after the warranty ran out and I noticed the new one had a resister in parallel - dunno if the old one should have had one or they added this as they kept blowing or maybe another reason...

The VU meter was pretty useless on my MAG300 head, so if it had failed I wouldn't have bothered replacing it.

[quote name='Ghosts Over Japan' post='722798' date='Jan 24 2010, 02:08 AM']Hey I have my Ashdown EVO II 500 watt head and as far as I'm aware the thing might as well be bullet proof these are very solid amps indeed!

BUT (there's never usually a 'but' with Ashdown gear) The VU meter has stopped working completely, no matter how much I crank it I get NO movement.

Any ideas why? It still makes all the sounds it did before its just randomly not moving the VU bar, the backlight for that area still lights up though.

Cheers

Cai[/quote]

MB1. :)
I use the same head in a combo you should have an active/passive switch on it? i see you have a Active Stingray? plug that in and with the gain about 12 o clock and the volume LOW while playing you should be getting some needle movement.Try flicking the active passive switch in and out...There should definately be some movement...If there is still no movement the vu meter itself is at fault.

Edited by MB1

• 2 weeks later...

Twas me, when I brought the amp I left the active/passive switch where it was (passive) not realizing but I use an active bass so when I changed it the other day to active obviously it doesn't give the sound a boost so it just makes the needle seem really inactive to what I've seen it like before!

Complete fail amateur but again, I've managed to learn a lot about amps during this period so it was worth it :)

Cheers