Why become a member? ×

Bass Rig: Trace SMX 12 Pre Amp + SWR 800 power amp

jembullo

Hi there

I'm possibly thinking of moving on my bass rig. An immaculate condition Trace Elliot GP12 SMX preamp, superb condition inside and out. Recently serviced by EMS in Southend who commented on how good an example this was. Has the cool luminous green back light...very nice!
Also a great condition SWR 800 power amp with 400w per side or 800w bridged.
I've pictured both the rear and back connections to show you that these 2 have everything you need connection wise.
These 2 items are housed in a Gator flight case as shown in the photos. THE ASHDOWN CAB IS NOT INCLUDED.

They sound absolutely awesome.

£450 all in.

Edited by jembullo

No problems with the price - very good gear for the money. I'd guess people are just a bit skint, and the newer smaller lightweight stuff is grabbing everyone's attention.

I have got a question about the SWR, as I've happily owned one for a several years. It looks like the speaker connections have been updated from jack/banana plugs to speakons. Can you still bridge the two amps? On mine I have to use one half of each banana set to connect it in bridge mode...

If anyone is wondering - the Stereo 800 sounds a lot louder than the specs suggest, it really is a great power amp for bass.

Thanks for the comments Bass Bod.

I have to say that I love this setup and am thinking that I might just lug this around for gigs, and get something cheap and light for rehearsal.
It does sound awesome!!

To bridge on this amp, connect a speaker to any of the top row speaker on connectors and press the red bridge button to combine both amps. Dead easy, connect up 2 8ohm cabs to get maximum output from the bridge.

[quote name='BassBod' post='722912' date='Jan 24 2010, 10:31 AM']No problems with the price - very good gear for the money. I'd guess people are just a bit skint, and the newer smaller lightweight stuff is grabbing everyone's attention.

I have got a question about the SWR, as I've happily owned one for a several years. It looks like the speaker connections have been updated from jack/banana plugs to speakons. Can you still bridge the two amps? On mine I have to use one half of each banana set to connect it in bridge mode...

If anyone is wondering - the Stereo 800 sounds a lot louder than the specs suggest, it really is a great power amp for bass.[/quote]

The Gaffa tape is just there to stop the hooks from the flight case lid marking the face of the amp......probably just the way I mounted it in the case??

[quote name='Conan' post='723964' date='Jan 25 2010, 11:59 AM']What are the two small pieces of Gaffa tape covering on the lower front face of the power amp?[/quote]

• 1 month later...

Bumpy Bump....no trades at this point - straight sale required

[quote name='overwater#1' post='729207' date='Jan 29 2010, 08:58 PM']Trade or Part ex for Trace AH400SMX?? Plus some cabs?? :) You never know, I love my AH, but to have an 800w power amp racked up would be phenomenal!![/quote]

From the SWR manual:-

Minimum load per channel on the Stereo 800 is 2 ohms. This is the equivalent of 2- 4 ohm cabinets, or 4- 8 ohm enclosures. In the STEREO mode, the Stereo 800 will work on all loads from two ohms to infinity (no speakers at all, which is how your parents would probably prefer it). Therefore, you may operate the Stereo 800 using the speaker outputs of just one channel and not the other. In the MONO/BRIDGE mode, minimum load is FOUR (4) ohms. If you try and use a load of less than 4 ohms in the bridge mode, one or more of the protection fuses will probably blow (open).

[quote name='JTUK' post='778561' date='Mar 18 2010, 01:38 PM']Pretty sure this will bridge at 4 ohms... and if you can't run at 4 ohms you aren't going to get 800watts.[/quote]