Why become a member? ×

New addition to the 7string armoury. But what is it??

7string

With the help of my in-laws, I was lucky enough to be able to buy a new guitar last week. I tracked the journey of the new axe as it made its way across Europe and Big Brown (as the American's call UPS) delivered it at lunchtime.

It's a really great guitar and I'm going to give it a once over during my college course this evening (2nd session of the Guitar Repair class).

As ever, it doesn't exist if there's no pics so I've taken some. As usual it takes me 30 or so shots to get 1 decent shot !!

The question is: What is it??

[quote name='7string' post='718134' date='Jan 19 2010, 05:45 PM']With the help of my in-laws, I was lucky enough to be able to buy a new guitar last week. I tracked the journey of the new axe as it made its way across Europe and Big Brown (as the American's call UPS) delivered it at lunchtime.

It's a really great guitar and I'm going to give it a once over during my college course this evening (2nd session of the Guitar Repair class).

As ever, it doesn't exist if there's no pics so I've taken some. As usual it takes me 30 or so shots to get 1 decent shot !!

The question is: What is it??[/quote]
Well I know what it ain't - it ain't a bass! :) :rolleyes:
Nice colour and finish. Nice touch, too, with the staggered string-thru's.
Not a Tom Anderson perchance?

[quote name='thedonutman' post='718239' date='Jan 19 2010, 06:56 PM']Is it a Cort?

[size=1](I think I cheated)[/size][/quote]

[quote name='d-basser' post='718266' date='Jan 19 2010, 07:17 PM']Cort Neil Zaza sig[/quote]

Half marks to [b]thedonutman[/b] and full marks to [b]d-basser[/b]. (Dan your instrument knowledge is reaching new bounds :)).

I was going to post this pics next if nobody knew what it was!

And here it is in all its glory:

Yup, it's a Cort Neil Zaza signature. It's the first version, the NZS-1.

The NZS-1 is labelled as a Cort masterpeice and is definitely a long way from Cort's "budget" status.

Maple neck, ebony fingerboard and a layered body of basswood, maple and a deep sea blue quilt maple top finished in "Deep Sea Blue". Pickups are SD's; a SH-11 (Custom custom) at the bridge and a SH-1 '59 model with reverse polarity at the neck.

It fools a lot of people into thinking its anything but a Cort, but this thing is an excellent guitar. Even just noodling on it this afternoon, it felt great and after a bit of fettling this evening (just basic setup stuff) it just impresses me more and more.

When I did a rock show on Hospital radio here in Glasgow, I interviewed Neil Zaza on the phone from his home in the USA. If you're into melodic, guitar-instrumental music you have to check him out. Great guy and a great player. Shame I had to stop doing it due to long-term illness.

Here's the live version of "It's Alright" with T.M. Stevens on bass. It's had over 1 million hits on YouTube.

More info at [url="http://www.neilzaza.com"]Neil's website[/url] and on his [url="http://www.facebook.com/neilzazamusic"]Facebook page.[/url]

Edited by 7string