Why become a member? ×

SKB Universal Shaped Electric Bass Soft Case

dave_bass5

I know all about the Mono and IGIG cases but they are a bit out of my price range.

I found the SKB one and it looks like a good idea and the price is right. Just wondering if any one uses them or has any opinions.

This will be to replace a normal, cheap gig bag thats been fine for years so i know i dont need too spend too much money on something better.

Heres a link.
[url="http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=527&o=&offset=1&c=84&s=75"]SKB Gig bag[/url]

Cheers.

Edited by dave_bass5

I've used the square version (Warwick and Sadowsky - made by TKL) quite a lot. Good points are light weight, pretty good all round protection from bumps and drops. Not much bigger than a standard gig bag (the better ones are usually larger). I've put them in vans (carefully on top of all the other stuff) and never worried.

Bad points - there are screws/bolts that can push into the inside of the case. One in the Sadowsky case scratched a few basses until I worked out what it was. They are not as strong as a "proper" hard case. I still prefer a Hiscox.

The Protec contego is a similar concept - currently £65 ish from Thomman?

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='718066' date='Jan 19 2010, 04:56 PM']+1 on the Hiscox - a little more money but very superior cases.[/quote]

Hmmm, not superior if i need two hands free ;-) Thanks for the reply though.

This is why im not asking about whats the best case, just about the SKB. I need to have the bass on my back most of the time as i also have to carry things. And i als oput my bass on the back parcel shelf of my drummers car. A ghard case wont fit. Im not even sure the SKB one would.

Ive always used cheap gig bags and have never had any problems with them. Thats probably just luck more than anytihng which is why i want something a bit better but not a hard case.

Im not doubting the hard case is better, just that it wont work for my situation.

Cheers.

Hello,I have been using a Kinsman rectangular shaped case which looks to be similar in construction for the last 12 month's,cost me about £40 I think.To be fair if I have to carry a bass in the car with a lot of other gear I always use a hiscox hardcase,however if I have a lot of walking to do (a gig in the local pub or where we rehearse in an area with limited parking ) then I am happy to strap this on my back with any of my basses inside.Used sensibly this type of gigbag is a useful alternative,but if you get run over by a bus while carrying your pride & joy you might regret not using a hiscox,all the best , mike b.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='718078' date='Jan 19 2010, 05:03 PM']Hmmm, not superior if i need two hands free ;-)
Cheers.[/quote]

Sorry, hadn't carefully read your second post! There was a hybrid that Strings & Things (Musicman UK distributors) did that were really unpopular but to my mind hit the mark - a soft outer with solid foam inside - sorry, can't remember the brand name but will try and find it.

I had a think about this - most of my giging currently is by car, but I do also walk around town a fair bit for teaching. The best case/bag i've had is the Levys canvas gig bag (CM19 or something) around £100 (?). A couple of things make it better - its about as small as it could be and still fit a Fender style bass, its very light but also tough with simple straps and the foam padding is real. Unlike a lot of cheap bags it does provide good protection and is only slightly bigger than the guitar.

The storage is a bit limited (one pocket on the front and a useless one at the top) but it will take a strap and lead.

If I had to use the tube...that's what I'd take.

Thanks for all the replies.
Since i started this thread my new Lakland has turned up and it came with a nice Levys Lakland bag (no idea about the model number)
Its very compact and flat but does seem to offer good (enough) protection, plus storage is pretty good on it so for now im just going to use this.

Cheers.